Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 71 gt. the whole car has been rewired including new fuse block.rear turn signals work, front ones do not. I took the bulbs out and one was a single filament and the other is dual. What ones are correct?? Is the socket supposed to have only one contact and not two?? I turned the lights on and the bulbs light but no turn signals as of yet. Also on the dash it has three lights over two, the top left and right are the turn signals but what are the others?? I cant find much info in my factory manual.

·
Opeler
33 Posts
the turn signals should be dual filament bulbs... 1157 bulbs, i do believe...

for the rest of the dash lights, the center on the top row is the high beam indicator, left on the bottom row is for when the headlights aren't locked (either up or down), and the bottom right is for the brakes, warning light, i believe...

·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1157 bulbs have two contact places on the back of the bulbs, also the (tits) are staggered, do I have the wrong sockets for these lights?? Mine only have one contact spot in the socket itself and I am not so sure that large bulb glass wont hit the actual body of the light itself.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Dictation!

The round orange lights in the grill openning are the turn ("blinker") signals and have bulbs with ONE fillament.

The oblong orange lights above the bumper are Marker lights ( ON while the lights are ON) and have ONE filament.

Some times POs have modified the oblong lights to act as turn signals as well and put in twin filament holders and bulbs.

It is not beyond possibility that dual filament holders have been fitted to the round orange lights or even clear driving lights ("Euro Lights") can be fitted in the grille cavity.

Basically the bulb holder dictates the type of bulb!

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
Some people get confused on the front turn signals.

The 2 Large round lights in the front of the car are the parking lights and turn signals. The 1157 bulb will work in this light(dual filiment). The curved lights on the front side are parking lights only and the bulb is a single filiment

Some people have installed kits to make the curved lights into parking lights/turn signals. If this kit was installed, then the curved lights will be dual filiment. Just my 0.02

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dual Filament Park Turn Wiring

Some people get confused on the front turn signals.

The 2 Large round lights in the front of the car are the parking lights and turn signals. The 1157 bulb will work in this light(dual filiment). The curved lights on the front side are parking lights only and the bulb is a single filiment

Some people have installed kits to make the curved lights into parking lights/turn signals. If this kit was installed, then the curved lights will be dual filiment. Just my 0.02
In the case where you have a dual filament bulb in the large round amber lights in front, what color wires were going to the two pairs of filaments? Also, it seems to me that the lower wattage filament should be park, and the higher (brighter) filament should be turn; is this correct?

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
In the case where you have a dual filament bulb in the large round amber lights in front, what color wires were going to the two pairs of filaments? Also, it seems to me that the lower wattage filament should be park, and the higher (brighter) filament should be turn; is this correct?
I don't know the colors off hand, but yes, lower watt = parking and higher watt = turn.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts

Here you go..

·
7,517 Posts
BTW.. if you get one of these

from Advanced Auto

and take out the rivets that hold the one element bulb holder in the corner, you can convert it to a be a blinker/parking light too.. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts

Here you go..
Thanks for the picture. I did find a wire in the front that flashes the right turn signal. It sort of looks like it might have been black and yellow, but it's hard to tell with the paint over-spray and many years of weathering.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Thanks for the picture. I did find a wire in the front that flashes the right turn signal. It sort of looks like it might have been black and yellow, but it's hard to tell with the paint over-spray and many years of weathering.
Black/green right turn
Black/white left turn

Running/clearance lights
Gray/red left
gray/black right

I've been known to be wrong before:)

The white tracer can yellow over time due to be exposed to the atmosphere .
Split the harness back to see an non exposed section.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Turn Signal in Side Marker

When I first got the car neither of the front turn signals worked. This seemed reasonable to me because the turn signals (4" round amber)were in a box of extra parts, not on the car. However on further examination it seems like the intention of one PO was to use the banana side markers as front turn signals. Both have a small bulb in the front of the side marker housing as shown in the pictures; this isn't stock is it (maybe I misunderstood the stock configuration or certain years were different)? And the reason the left didn't flash, was because it had a burned out bulb, and the right didn't flash I think because of a broken lead.

Attachments

·
7,517 Posts
Similar idea to what I have done..

I just replaced the old 1156 buld with a 1157 bulb holder though :)

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
When I first got the car neither of the front turn signals worked. This seemed reasonable to me because the turn signals (4" round amber)were in a box of extra parts, not on the car. However on further examination it seems like the intention of one PO was to use the banana side markers as front turn signals....
Now you got me wanting to wig-wag the front lights and side markers.

·
7,517 Posts
Now you got me wanting to wig-wag the front lights and side markers.
Now you got me thinking..

How would one get that delay..?

I.E. the upper blinks and then a fraction of a second the bottom one.. and back and forth.. That would be cool.

If I went thru upper front bulb then instead of going ground went to the lower bulb and then to ground.. would the delay in going across the resistance of the first bulb cause the second to flash a little later in the cycle..? Or would something else be in order..?

Reactions: pherrley

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
Now you got me thinking..

How would one get that delay..?

I.E. the upper blinks and then a fraction of a second the bottom one.. and back and forth.. That would be cool.

If I went thru upper front bulb then instead of going ground went to the lower bulb and then to ground.. would the delay in going across the resistance of the first bulb cause the second to flash a little later in the cycle..? Or would something else be in order..?
Charles; GM cars in the '70s and early '80s and even some in the '90s did the wig wag function. When the parking or headlights were NOT on, the turn signal and front marker light would blink together. When the parking or headlights WERE ON, they alternated. The standard bulb for the side marker was the wedge style 194 single filiment bulb. Look at a wiring diagram for the following cars, '72-'80 Nova, '75-'87 Caprice, '78-'81 Camaro, '74 - '87 full size pick up and even the '98-'02 S-10 Blazer and pickup.

·
7,517 Posts
Charles; GM cars in the '70s and early '80s and even some in the '90s did the wig wag function. When the parking or headlights were NOT on, the turn signal and front marker light would blink together. When the parking or headlights WERE ON, they alternated. The standard bulb for the side marker was the wedge style 194 single filiment bulb. Look at a wiring diagram for the following cars, '72-'80 Nova, '75-'87 Caprice, '78-'81 Camaro, '74 - '87 full size pick up and even the '98-'02 S-10 Blazer and pickup.
Hmm looks like its close to what I said..

Looks like the parking light has no ground for the side marker, technically..

Side marker is single filament bulb.. (NOT 1157.. which is cool mess with wiring but don't have to butcher housing)

Its using a two positives equal a negative to cause the wig wag.. The side goes OFF when the front turn signal GETs Power..

Interesting..

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
Charles, Yes you can use a single filiment bulb BUT the bulb holder can not be grounded or you will feed + into a - source and will short out the fuse.

GM used a rubber housing with two wires coming out so it doesn't ground to the body. It looks similiar to the socket picture earlier in this thread (post 12) with the little bulb in the front of the banana lens. You can't use the original Opel socket since it is grounded to the body unless you can isolate the entire housing.

Reactions: GoinManta

·
7,517 Posts
Charles, Yes you can use a single filiment bulb BUT the bulb holder can not be grounded or you will feed + into a - source and will short out the fuse.

GM used a rubber housing with two wires coming out so it doesn't ground to the body. It looks similiar to the socket picture earlier in this thread (post 12) with the little bulb in the front of the banana lens. You can't use the original Opel socket since it is grounded to the body unless you can isolate the entire housing.
Good catch.. didnt think about that..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts