Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front wheel spacers for GT

I know this was discussed on the ClassicOpels mailing list, but since this site is more user-friendly in terms of posting photos, I figured I'd post this here. In an attempt to widen the narrow GT front track (it's narrower than the rear track), a good wheel spacer can help to improve the handling as well as provide better wheel and tire clearance. However, if wheel spacers thicker than 1/4" are used, then longer studs need to be utilized, and a way of attaching the spacer to the hub is a good idea, so the load-bearing studs are not over-stressed. Here's one solution I came up with, the spacers have offset holes drilled into them, and the hubs are drilled and tapped to accept countersunk bolts.

Bob

Attachments

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Opeler
896 Posts
I needed a little bit of additional clearance for my lowering shackles using the original 13" rims - my inside wheel weights were being shaved! I found these hub-centric, bolt-on wheel spacers on Amazon. They are 15mm thick, which is probably the minimum thickness you can find of this type. Anything thinner would be a simple spacer, which would then require longer wheel studs to be installed. The original studs poke through, but fit inside the wheel spokes. I'm impressed with the quality and price of these. They came from Titan Wheel Accessories in Michigan. The other reason for doing this is to correct the narrow front track width on the GT, as RallyBob mentioned in the original post from 20 years ago (ouch).
Automotive tire Light Bell Cylinder Idiophone

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake

Bicycle part Rim Font Auto part Circle

·
Super Moderator
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I needed a little bit of additional clearance for my lowering shackles using the original 13" rims - my inside wheel weights were being shaved! I found these hub-centric, bolt-on wheel spacers on Amazon. They are 15mm thick, which is probably the minimum thickness you can find of this type. Anything thinner would be a simple spacer, which would then require longer wheel studs to be installed. The original studs poke through, but fit inside the wheel spokes. I'm impressed with the quality and price of these. They came from Titan Wheel Accessories in Michigan. The other reason for doing this is to correct the narrow front track width on the GT, as RallyBob mentioned in the original post from 20 years ago (ouch).
I’ve got a set of 1” thick bolt-on Titan hubcentric wheel spacers for my Nissan Frontier. They’ve been thru 3 wheel/tire changeovers so far, and have held their torque spec after the first retorque go-around, no problem. No corrosion yet either.

Considering my truck weighs about 4650 lbs, you should be good to go!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I just bought two inch spacers for the Dakota and the f150 and 2 inch spacers to lift the fronts of both to level them out.
From what I have read most say to make certain to clean up your hubs good to make sure you have a clean flat mating surface and use an anti seize where they mate together.
Retorque at 500 miles.
I'm not totally convinced with the anti seize though, seems like a lot of heat there and I don't know how effective it would be. Any thoughts?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
17,272 Posts
I needed a little bit of additional clearance for my lowering shackles using the original 13" rims - my inside wheel weights were being shaved! I found these hub-centric, bolt-on wheel spacers on Amazon. They are 15mm thick, which is probably the minimum thickness you can find of this type. Anything thinner would be a simple spacer, which would then require longer wheel studs to be installed. The original studs poke through, but fit inside the wheel spokes. I'm impressed with the quality and price of these. They came from Titan Wheel Accessories in Michigan. The other reason for doing this is to correct the narrow front track width on the GT, as RallyBob mentioned in the original post from 20 years ago (ouch). View attachment 445252
View attachment 445251
View attachment 445250

I'm not buying the need to get the spacers because of wheel weight scraping. I think you bought them because they are COOL AS HECK! :love: 🤩 :love:

🤪

1 - 9 of 9 Posts