Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I usally don't have such a hard time finding what I need, call me Daft but I swear there was an article with tips on removing our windshields. I thought it had something to do with a rope or string but at this point im not sure :confused: . Anyone have any tips from tier own experience removing the front window. I'm weary of breaking my window. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Super Moderator
9,755 Posts
glass removal

If you're going to replace the gasket, I would carefully trim the rubber away till the glass was exposed and again VERY carefully press it out. The "string" that you mentioned is for the install, so you can get the lip of the gasket over the glass edge.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
te remove ur windshields tehre is a recent post because i asked the same question a week or two ago i believe there were several ways people said to do it didnt do it myself i just figured i should pay a professional to do it for me.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Civin, I had both front and rear windows taken out of my GT last week, by professionals. I was lucky that I had called OGTS and was on the phone with Dennis as the guy was in the pax seat with his feet againt the windshield. I had called to check the availability of the window seals. Dennis told me that 9 out of 10 windshields will break if you do not cut the seal away from the window before taking out the glass. Thank you, Dennis. I now have a complete, unbroken windshield stored with new seals and locking strips ordered. After the car exterior is painted the glass will be re-installed. HTH.

Ron

·
802 Posts
Do not do what i did

when I removed my front glass I had two people in my garage who knew what they were doing, So they said, as we were working on the rubber one of the guys took a screwdriver at stuck it behind the glass and the rest was history.new windshield for me to buy. I had a pro reinstall the new glass, be carefull. Good luck :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
not sure you need the aggravation

Having done this twice I can tell you it is not so bad getting them out as trying to get them back in. The first time I removed the original windshield I cut the outside gasket away from the glass and applying careful pressure from the inside was able to press the old window out fairly easy. be sure to have some help to prevent the window from just popping out and losing control of it. unfortunately when I reinstalled it (real PIA) I discovered a crack 4 days later.
I tried to save the old gasket on the second removal and quickly found thats a sure road to disaster, but since the window was already cracked it did'nt make much difference to me. Installing is another matter at least for me. After 5 attempts the first time I finally got it right, but it cracked 4 days later. This time I tried 3 times and gave up, decided the $50 it cost to have a local glass place do it was a small price to pay for not tearing what little hair I have left out.
If I ever did try to install one again (doubtful) I may take the glass company's advice and use silicone spray or soapy water. Although OGTS directions are good I found that the wd40 they recommended was just too slick. Everytime I got one lower corner bedded the other lower corner would pop back out. My assessment of the results was not for sensitive ears to hear, especially after the 3rd or 4th time.

Roger

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Window

I had just put my back window and front window in with the help of my oldest boy and wife. The back window was a pain in the butt, which kinda of worried me about the front window, so I asked how much it would be to have a professional install and they said 200.00 and they wouldn't guarantee anything if they broke the window. I decided I would much rather be the one breaking the window if it happened. A piece of cord and some help from the wife and it popped in easier then the back! Good Luck. :)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I cut the gasket for the front and back windows, and they came out great. I put the back window in with a dental explorer (no string at all) and i put the windsheild in with the help of my dad in about 15 minutes witht he string method, I do not have locking strips in yet, is it in danger of popping out while driving?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I'm going to ask this question even though I think I know what everybody will say. Is there any tricks or ideas of removing the glass and gasket without cutting or breaking anything? I recently got much better glass for the car but the gaskets in it now are new. Any suggestions?

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i heard u can try and pry the seal and window out with like a metal ruler or other type of thing, but i dont think i have ever heard of it to be possible to remove either front or rear window without cutting rubber especaily the gt/j rubber that does not ahve the locking strip. whats every one else think??

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
nobody said:
I'm going to ask this question even though I think I know what everybody will say. Is there any tricks or ideas of removing the glass and gasket without cutting or breaking anything? I recently got much better glass for the car but the gaskets in it now are new. Any suggestions?
There are glass polishing kits available that will remove wiper scratches and fresh up the glass very well cost about $35 from Auto Restoration places.
Also Novus franchises can fix pretty horrible stone chips and cracks like new. So only take the glass out as a last resort and sae that screen as a spare!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Jordan: i would not say your in danger of your windows popping out, i dont have locking strips either, they stay in place well, but the lower corners of the windshield leak.

my car has origional windshield seals, and i removed both the back glass and windshield on my own without cutting either seal. the seal was glued to the car, so i took the locking strips out and pushed in the upper corners evenly with the palms of my hands until the corners just started to pop out of the seal. i then ran a small screw driver through the top of the windshield to push the seal behind the windshield, and then i just pulled it forward and out/peeled the seal off the car.

the back window i just layed sideways on the floor and pushed up hard with the palms of both of my hands and this one popped the seal out with the window, i think the back window came out with more pressure, but it came out faster at the same time. my dad helped me put the windows back in, by glueing the seals to the car, the putting the glass back in, we used the origional seals thats been on the car since it was buil tin september of 1970

keep in mind this car was garage kept its whole life so the rubber parts for the most part are still in very good condition and very flexable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
along these lines

Talk about the aggravation I've had with the windshield. I finally got the glass company out here to put in the new windshield (old one somehow cracked after I put it in upon redoing the interior.). Guess what, it did'nt fit.
It appears that I got a defective windshield that did'nt have the right amount of curvature to the lower corners. After calling Lo-can glass I learned they had had problems with the windshields but thought they had purged the warehouse of the defective ones, I guess all except the one they sent me.
Curious as to whether anyone else had this problem. Now they want me to take a digital picture of the logo etchings to determine if this is one they missed because they claim they don't want to send me another defective window. Guess maybe they did'nt purge the warehouse as well as they thought.

Roger
:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
The string trick IS the best way if your seals are soft enough. Its pretty simple. get a piece of piano/guitar wire and, after you remove the rubber trim, push the string(wire really) throught the soft sealant and have a freind on the other side help you saw through the sealant. have handles ready, the string gets uncomfortable fast. and you might want to have a 3rd friend ready to hold the glass up to keep from pinching the string.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I did that to get the windshield out of a TR7, it was in the winter and didnt hurt at the time until I realized that I was bleeding....alot. it was a guitar b string, handles are nice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I usally don't have such a hard time finding what I need, call me Daft but I swear there was an article with tips on removing our windshields. I thought it had something to do with a rope or string but at this point im not sure :confused: . Anyone have any tips from tier own experience removing the front window. I'm weary of breaking my window. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks ahead of time.
First of all I am a do it yourself person, meaning I find ways of doing things that take more than one person, by myself. Time, patience, and process....... You may think I am nuts, but I have done this numerous times on installing windshields by myself. On the Opel GT, and just about any other car. DO NOT SAVE THE OLD SEAL, just cut the seal around the glass and throw it away. When installing a new seal, place the seal around the window, and DO NOT lubricate this area. Second install a small rope, I use mason twine which is small and very strong, around the outside seal of the window so that it starts in the center of the BOTTOM of the window seal. (there are youtube videos on this method) DO NOT LUBRICATE YET, I tape up the edges of the rope to the window on the inside so they are out of my way and don't fall out of the bottom, I set the windshield onto the bottom channel of the window frame, by tipping the windshield towards the engine and set the center of the window into the seam and slowly tip the glass back towards the car until the rubber is resting against the metal window frame on the car. Make sure the rope is still totally on the inside of the car. Now this is the part your going to say I am "nuts" but it works just fine. attach one end of a long 4" wide ratchet strap to the bolt hole on the door where the seat belt bolts into (the one midway up, not on the floor) or if the rear side glass is out, you can put it there. Run the strap around the center of the windshield and hook the other side of the ratchet strap to the other side in the same place, either the bolt hole or inside the rear glass frame lip. Snug up the ratchet strap until the rubber seal is just making contact with the metal window frame, Just touching, NOT TIGHT. Now go to the front of the windshield and move the ratchet strap up the windshield so the strap is on a slight downward slope but try to stay as close to the center of the windshield as possible essentially pulling the windshield in and downward. DO NOT Lubricate yet...Making sure the windshield has not slid up and is still either just started in the lip or is in line with the metal to pull the lip over, snug up the ratchet strap a little more so the rubber seal is now pressing against the metal lip that you are going to pull it over (again, not tight, just snug it up so there is no gap between the rubber seal and the lip on the body). DO NOT lube yet. now start pulling the rope so the bottom seal is going over the top of the metal frame lip go equally in both directions until you get to the corners and you are just starting to go upwards and stop pulling. NOW SPRAY soapy water down the seam of the rubber seal on both sides and across the top of the rubber seal. Make sure the water is very soapy, as the soap (dish soap) is your lubricant. Now that you have sprayed the lube on the sides and top of the seal and the bottom rubber lip is now pulled in where it belongs, grab the top of the window seal and give it a tug downward to make sure the window is down as far as it can go. It does not take much effort to pull the window down, because by pulling the bottom of the window rubber seal over the metal frame edge, the strap is now a little looser and the window will move easier. Once you have done that, you again tighten up the ratchet strap until it is snug again, usually 1 or two clicks is enough. Go inside and again pull up the string a couple inches at a time on each end until you are above the ratchet strap and stop pulling. The strap will again be loose so you will need to give it another click or two just enough to keep steady pressure on the seal. Spray some soapy water again on the top and both sides of seal again. (spraying into the seam where the rope is) you can now pull the the rope until you get to the top corner on each side. Now sometimes if the strap was not pulling downward on the windshield, the top corner will pull hard or not want to go around the corner. Don't force it, just loosen up the strap and again pull downward on the top of the window. Don't slap or hit the window, just pull downward on it. Move the strap higher up on the windshield again do not go much past center and again snug it up. You don't want it tight because it makes pulling the rubber over the lip harder, you just want to snug it up to help you pull it over. Now try again to go around the each corner, be patient, spray more lube if needed, once you get around each corner the rest is a walk in the park. Just finish pulling the rope slowly a little on each side until you get to the middle. You may have to hold both sides of the rope once you get to the top or the rope may just slide from side to side and not roll the lip over. Clean up any soapy water right away and use window cleaner several times to make sure the soap is cleaned up. The 4" wide strap applies equal pressure across the entire windshield making it less likely to crack and gives an equal pressure onto the seal helping you pull the lip over the metal edge. By NOT lubricating until you get the bottom on, the windshield is less likely to "pop" up out of the bottom seal. You do not need much pressure on the strap, all your doing is snugging the seal up against the frame. If someone was helping you, he would be pushing in on a small area at a time making the windshield more likely to slip out of position and make it harder to install. Slapping or pounding on the glass will likely find old stress points and crack the glass. Using the strap and putting equal pressure on all of the glass keeps the glass still and distributes the pressure. It sounds more complicated than it really is. This method has always worked for me with -0- breakage so far. I do NOT use window sealer and have never had a leak on the rubber seals. If you use the sealer, I would imagine there is a good chance this method will not work for you because the glass will want to slip around a lot more. This works for the back glass as well, you can tighten up the strap more on the back glass as it is tempered and more forgiving. For the back glass, I hook the straps up to the strike plates on the doors. Some microfiber cloth between the straps and your car body will help avoid any scratches. Do not put anything between the glass and the straps or you will create possible pressure points that will do more harm than good. Hope this helps someone. For me it is a 3 hour drive one way to get someone to put in a windshield and they will NOT put in used glass. I started doing it this way over 25 years ago when our local glass shop stopped doing automotive work.

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
First of all I am a do it yourself person, meaning I find ways of doing things that take more than one person, by myself. Time, patience, and process.......
Umm, this thread is so old (2004, so 17 years ago) that no fewer than three (3!) of the contributors have passed away...

And I think this has been already said, but paragraphs and spaces and such can make a post SO much easier to read. But hey, glad to have you contributing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts