Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i took my GT in to get a front end alignment, and i'm happy with nothing they've done. they take the car for a test drive before and after working on them, ok, thats fine i guess. most cars go around the block and never leave your sight, but my GT dissapears both times for 10 minutes and comes back with 12 miles and rubber piled onto my rear quarters, super pissed about that once i seen the car when it was done. when i called i told them i need a full front end alignment for a 71 opel Gt, he says 69.95 for any vehicle to set toe, camber, and caster. when hes done my total is 75.89 with tax and "shop supplies", thats ok, but tells me that camber and caster is not adjustable on my car, and that its way out of spec, the only way to fix it was all new bushings and springs all the way around the car, he's full of it, that car has decent bushings in it and it's sat higher than any GT i've owned, so the springs can't be worn out. didnt say a word, went home, got 2 opel manuals that explained how to adjust the camber and caster specifically for the GT. showed them BOTH books and said it is possable just like this. he said since you have to pull the balljoints out and rotate them 180 degrees or pull the control arms off to shim the arm forward or backward, that it wasnt included in part of a "normal" alignment. ok, its a pain in the ass and he didnt wanna do it, thats fine too, but dont charge for what you dont do, i fought for 10 minutes, and as i got ready to walk out and grab my reciept back up hes like "i'll give you some money back but not all of it" he gives me 25 of the 75 back, never apologized for what they didnt do, charging for what they didnt do, or racking up 12 miles and half my tread life for the rear tires. so i paied 50 bucks and 80 miles driving there and back twice to get the toe set and my rear tires wasted and spending a half hour scrubbing rubber off my quarters. anybody else have this problem with their GT, or even opel in general when they say they can't do camber or caster?

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
I've had problems with service people in general(everything from cars to furnaces to...). Many seem to just want to punch the clock at 9 and 5 and go home for the day. This isn't to say that they are all this way, but I seem to attract them:(

I see two solutions. Do everything yourself, or build a relationship with the best service poeple you can find.

If you're interested, I can walk you through performing the alignment yourself. It's a little time consuming, but has been done by many racers for many years, and it works. If you have any friends that race there is a good chance they'd have a camber gauge you could borrow, if not I can show you how to calibrate one of the cheap 'relative camber' gauges to be an 'absolute
camber' gauge.

It's a bit time consuming to write up, so I'll only post if people show interest.

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
alignment

I want to chime in on this one, as I will be facing this with a Sportwagon soon. I know that most of these new place with all the nice lazers and such can do an excellent job on modern cars, but, even bringing the specs in with the car, I feel that these newer alignment machines cannot do the job correctly. I DO know, that if there is and older shop, one with the older equipment, such as a "Bear Alignment Machine" or equivalent, that the person who knows how to use this equipment would know more of how to align Opels than most of the newer places. This is just my opinion.
Gene

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Travis I'm all ears on that, I've been reluctant to take it in even though I know it needs done. Any chance of the rear being addressed as well? This is one of the next steps for me since the entire suspension has been changed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just had a problem similar

I went to have mine done. Was told they couldn't do it because my lower ball joint went bad and had torn up my spindle, and my bushings were bad. Well I just took the spindle off, and it is as good as the one I just got from OGTS, as was the lower ball joint...and my spring bushings are new poly bushings. Needless to say, I just got done replacing a spindle and lower ball joint for no apparent reason.

Not that I've had a mechanic require driving my car (I'd prolly ride with them if so), but I have had EVERY mechanic who has tried to lift my car, try from the wrong places...and I go outside and politely ask them to lift it on the rings. I've even had some say, "I know," if they know then they should do it correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts