Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Armory and Yahoo list:

I have a Brand New unused, and untitled 1973 Opel GT for sale. Msrp. sticker still on the window. This one of a kind car has only 90 miles on it.
Thanks,
Jon Cooke

He is asking $26,500 for it. Blue with black interior. It can be seen at the Jim Cooke Buick dealership in Louisville, Kentucky.

This one could end up going back to Germany.....

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
Looks as if he's been an Opel lover for quite some time.
Check out this link - Look for position 40, or do a word search for "Cooke". He beat a Ford GT40...wow :eek: .

·
802 Posts
gt

I talked to the owner today and he has had this car in the showrooms since 73, said it is new,he had the tank cleaned and coated along with all the lines replaced, Sounds good but to much $$$ for me, He is a buick dealer by the way
Only two and a half hours from me, might go look at it just cause. :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
lezliewk said:
I talked to the owner today and he has had this car in the showrooms since 73, said it is new,he had the tank cleaned and coated along with all the lines replaced, Sounds good but to much $$$ for me, He is a buick dealer by the way
Only two and a half hours from me, might go look at it just cause. :D
Take a camera! I'm sure we would all like to see pics of it. After the post about the correct values, it does seem a bit high on the cost, by about 10,000. Just a simple question here, would this car still qualify as a O rating, with the 90 miles on it?

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
No.. Unless it has been kept out of UV rays and from peoples hands, lense gaskets, and amny other things will still detirate.

Would it be easy to make a #0 or a HIGH #1, defiantely.

The Dealer GT that sold in CA last year was a NICE HIGH #2, but it needed a lot of detailed attention.

Charles

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
OH and if this car has been exceptionally maintained, and has had fluid changes all its life while sitting in the dealer showrooms, etc..

The $26K is nothing.. and is a fair price.

Consider the cost to restor a car to this level in parts alone. Much less body and paint work.

Consider what you can get "new" for $26K.

Charles

·
195 Posts
If most of us knew this in 73 we all would have bought 10 each. I believe a new one went for right around $3300. Not a bad investment if he gets his price.

·
1,973 Posts
Don't forget inflation I think the dollar was triple it's worth back then.

·
Opeler
33 Posts
Worth!!! And Value!!!

We tent to quickly forget that these cars were brought here for a purpose by GM, and that was yo compete against what Detroit was serving us then Merc. Capry etc. We all have put the Value and Worth of certain vehicles because of their rarity and lack of availability and we've done that well with the muscle cars, but when you get down to it there are three cars that can rate just as good, the Opel GT, the Opel Manta Ralley and the Opel Luxus.
Yes, they made allot of them, just like the american counterparts, but these three cars have held the interest of allot of individuals, when I mentioned to some people that have muscle cars that I was restoring a Manta ralley, I was surprise at the interest. Specially the GM owners. They remember cars that were well ahead of their time in design and performance.
So, I for one, think that this car IS worth that kind of money and in turn will help us maintain a certain mystic about the wheels we all love so much and talk about so much.

·
Opeler
85 Posts
Inflation has gone up much higher than 3 times in the past 30 odd years.
My mom bought a brand new chevy in 72 for $4300. The same car today runs in the mid thirties. If the Opel GT was being built today, it would factor out close to a Miata in the upper twenties. Since the early 70's, cars have risen 8 to 9 times. I do think that you get more car today than yesteryear. We now get as standard equiptment items such as fuel injection, hi fidelity sound system, air bags, safty bumpers, radial tires etc, etc, etc.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
true we get more "car" today, but those things (fuel injection, hi fidelity sound system, air bags, safty bumpers, radial tires etc) have come way down in price not to mention the assembly lines are much more automated than they were just 30 years ago. Using an inflation calculator $3300 in 1970 comes out to about $15,700 in 2005. Thats only about $1K more than the base Honda Civic.

·
427 Posts
Well, I paid $4750 for my Gt and it is no way near new nor original, but I know that had I paid $25k for a different vehicle, I would not get the looks, the comments, or get to share in the awe that the GT seems to inspire in those who pull up next to me. As I am sure Flyboy can attest to ( who has owned Porches and Vettes) there is something about the GT that seems to transcend most other automobiles. Not that there are not other cars out there that can produce the same interest, say the new Ford GT, but very few that can at the price of an Opel. $25k for a new GT that in 30 years will probably have half as many miles as mine does now, does not seem that far off base. In fact, I have always thought that as a collectors item the GT and other Opels as well, have been under valued. It's like your neighbors house... if they put it on the market for way more than you think it is worth, AND they get it, all the better for you and the value of your home. I still think that deal Flyboy got on his 'like new' GT was a great bargain!

·
Opeler
85 Posts
wrangler said:
Well, I paid $4750 for my Gt and it is no way near new nor original, but I know that had I paid $25k for a different vehicle, I would not get the looks, the comments, or get to share in the awe that the GT seems to inspire in those who pull up next to me. As I am sure Flyboy can attest to ( who has owned Porches and Vettes) there is something about the GT that seems to transcend most other automobiles. Not that there are not other cars out there that can produce the same interest, say the new Ford GT, but very few that can at the price of an Opel. $25k for a new GT that in 30 years will probably have half as many miles as mine does now, does not seem that far off base. In fact, I have always thought that as a collectors item the GT and other Opels as well, have been under valued. It's like your neighbors house... if they put it on the market for way more than you think it is worth, AND they get it, all the better for you and the value of your home. I still think that deal Flyboy got on his 'like new' GT was a great bargain!

I agree with Wrangler. Recently some fresh quality Opel GT's have come to the market. I just noticed one on the Canadian Opel Club Post today. AS these GT's go for higher dollar amounts it will bring up the value of most other clean OPEL GT's.

Fly Boy Don

1 - 18 of 18 Posts