Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Space Kadett
11 Posts
Hello!

I'm a constant forum lurker here, most of my time is spent translating and re-learning German on Sven`s Kadett C Homepage - www.kadettc.de. Ingrid is my car. (The Kadett C in question.) If you have any questions, feel free to ask away here. As of last night the car is now on eBay. I have very mixed emotions about selling this her, but I know I am doing the right thing.

·
Vendor
3,025 Posts
I'm a constant forum lurker here, most of my time is spent translating and re-learning German on Sven`s Kadett C Homepage - www.kadettc.de. Ingrid is my car. (The Kadett C in question.)...
Yogurt,
Good luck with the sale. I can understand why you would have mixed feeling about parting with "Ingrid". I am also attracted to the rare and odd greymarket stuff that made it to our shores. I've been following the chatter about you car on BAT BaT – The best vintage cars for sale online German Transplant: 1976 Opel Kadett C Coupe Most of the feedback is well informed and very positive. There was this comment, however, that I believe is incorrect:
This is simply a rebadged Isuzu sold in California at Buick dealers! It’s no more German than chopsticks! I’d pass……
Can you (or anyone else) comment on this?
Thanks,
Ron in Indy

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,573 Posts
Buick/Opel/Isuzus used Opel suspensions and sheet metal pressed in Germany, and mated it to Isuzu drivertrain and interior parts and they then assembled it all in Japan.

The Kadett C was all German and all Opel (down to the CIH motor) and built in Germany.

Kissing cousins.. but NOT the same car.. the interiors are even different.

The Buick/Opel/Isuzu interior is quite a bit different (especially the dash) and most carried over to the first Isuzu I-marks. It was no where near as nice as the Kadett Cs' cleaner looking dash.

For a little further info..

Hemmings Motor News: Isuzu Gemini, Buick/Opel by Isuszu, Isuzu I-Mark

·
Space Kadett
11 Posts
Wow, my little car is getting a lot of attention. I'm surprised. The Opel Isuzu was a rebadged Isuzu Gemini. In the bigger picture, probably a rarer car. I spoke to a veteran Buick mechanic, who praised the drivetrain of the Isuzu but apparently the body was less than well-built.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,573 Posts
Wow, my little car is getting a lot of attention. I'm surprised. The Opel Isuzu was a rebadged Isuzu Gemini. In the bigger picture, probably a rarer car. I spoke to a veteran Buick mechanic, who praised the drivetrain of the Isuzu but apparently the body was less than well-built.
Isuzu made a TON of them for the US and Pacific market.. I can't quote production numbers.. But I am sure there are more Isuzu Gemini / Buick-Opel-Isuzu, not to mention the other versions everywhere.. were made in much larger numbers than the Kadett C w/ the CIH drivetrain.

That said like ANY survivior.. its rare no matter how you put it.. Its also possible that the new proud owner will be coming from Germany to get it.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Yogurt said:
I spoke to a veteran Buick mechanic, who praised the drivetrain of the Isuzu but apparently the body was less than well-built.
I have an uncle that was a mechanic at a Buick dealership back in the 60s and 70s. He handled all the dealership's Opel work because he was the only one familiar with German cars and metric tools! He felt the German-built Opels were pretty good overall, but suffered reliability issues due mainly to poor electrical systems and carburetors. Over the years, I've often heard him comment that once Opel switched over to the Japanese drivetrains, they would drive off the lot and he'd never see them come back in again, or if they did come in it was only for routine maintenance, etc. In his experience, their reliability FAR exceeded the German drivetrains.

·
Opeler
16 Posts
I was in Baltimore last weekend and passed this little beauty parked on Mt. Royal Avenue (while riding in my daughter's '79 VW bus). This is truly a gorgeous little car. Wish I could...

:thinking:

-Carson

1 - 11 of 11 Posts