1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Non Civilian
2,100 Posts
Cheaper than what?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Pull it out and disassemble it so you know where your at.
As mentioned in your other post you may just need to treat it
I got my kit from eastwood and seems to be holding up fine.
Option 2 if your not in a hurry is opelgtsource will soon have new tanks in stock stainless steel to boot

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pull it out and disassemble it so you know where your at.
As mentioned in your other post you may just need to treat it
I got my kit from eastwood and seems to be holding up fine.
Option 2 if your not in a hurry is opelgtsource will soon have new tanks in stock stainless steel to boot
It has a liner in it already. Chipping off inside. So... yeah. But I have another tank... unknown condition.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Oh boy that sounds like trouble waiting to happen and you know it will when least convenient.
Maybe peak at condition of the other tank and weigh your options
Then call Gil and see if he has an est on price and availability of the new ones or possibly a good used on.
When I did mine I had 0 options so I repaired mine

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh boy that sounds like trouble waiting to happen and you know it will when least convenient.
Maybe peak at condition of the other tank and weigh your options
Then call Gil and see if he has an est on price and availability of the new ones
I'll have to dig it out of the parts car. I'm on the waiting list for a radiator guess I'll talk to Gil

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Yea that would probably be best, Then you kill two birds with one stone and your worry free on the front.
But the trick is do you have patience to hurry up and wait LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
For price comparisons - My tank was in poor shape having sat for a good few years. I was too lazy and didn't fancy rattling chains and rocks around for days inside a heavy tank so I found a local RENU dealer and shelled out $400 (I'm in Northern CA) Gas Tank Renu. Left it with them for 8 days and picked it up 'as good as new' and freshly painted.

They dunk and strip the tank and repair as needed. Then they coat it and weld back over any 1inch holes they had to cut to get in there and fix things up. A mix of reviews over longevity, as you'd expect, but mostly seemed positive. I figured if the folks on the Ford Model A forums found it worked for them at twice the age of my tank it was worth a go. It's warrantied for whatever that's worth.

So yeah - i threw money at it. I'm pleased with the result if not the cost. We're so lucky to have Gil and team working on obtaining modern reproductions of these labor intensive repair items.

·
Opeler
1,547 Posts
For price comparisons - My tank was in poor shape having sat for a good few years. I was too lazy and didn't fancy rattling chains and rocks around for days inside a heavy tank so I found a local RENU dealer and shelled out $400 (I'm in Northern CA) Gas Tank Renu. Left it with them for 8 days and picked it up 'as good as new' and freshly painted.

They dunk and strip the tank and repair as needed. Then they coat it and weld back over any 1inch holes they had to cut to get in there and fix things up. A mix of reviews over longevity, as you'd expect, but mostly seemed positive. I figured if the folks on the Ford Model A forums found it worked for them at twice the age of my tank it was worth a go. It's warrantied for whatever that's worth.

So yeah - i threw money at it. I'm pleased with the result if not the cost. We're so lucky to have Gil and team working on obtaining modern reproductions of these labor intensive repair items.
I'm with you on the Gas Tank RENU Repair. I had my 944 tank done at the RENU shop in Waller, TX (just outside of Houston) for $400 and I am totally pleased with it.

They tanked it, then cut flaps between the baffles so they could reach in and sand blast every internal surface. They then welded it back up and pressure tested it, and fixed any leaks. They coated the interior with epoxy (POR 15, I think) and then coated the exterior with Lizard Skin coating. They then heated it in an oven to accelerate the curing of the coatings.

Since the GT tank is inside of the car, you could probably just paint the outside rather than coating it with the tougher exterior coating. For not too many bucks your problem is solved in short order and you have a clean fuel source for a long time.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
this is what I had to do as I had no other options at the time I used the eastwood por15 fuel tank treatment deal
counted my nuts in and out I found a pin hole in the welds in the top of the tank where it had been opened ( i assume for repair) and welded back up. The sealer actually took care of that as well and I had sealer left over so I treated the outside as well as extra protection.
So far so good
Kitchen sink Sink Plumbing fixture Liquid Fluid
Automotive tire Sink Grey Bumper Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

1 - 12 of 12 Posts