Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have a fuel cell installed in thier GT. ( stock; non racer )
I'm weary of the stock tank, location and current condition. Any fuel tank that can be used instead of stock. I can't seem to find any listing on OGTS for a fuel tank.(could be over looking it.)

I have a distinct smell of gas in cabin, vapor lines new and replaced. I can't see any leaks anywhere. At this point I want to rip it out and put in something else. Any opinions and or suggestions?

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I checked with OGTS when I was having problems with mine rusting. They no longer carry fuel tanks. Every now and then they have some used ones in.

Search the forums. There are some threads with photos there of fuel cells.

I would also recommend you pull the stock fuel tank, if you are set on replacing it, and take it to have one fabricated for you. Check your area for shops that can fabricate one from the existing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Civin, if you have replaced all the vent hoses, the only other way for gas fumes to be inside the car are from the filler neck hose leaking or the tank outlet, which goes thorugh a rubber boot at the bottom left rear of the car. You can remove the rubber boot and check the condition of the fittings from outside the car. If it is wet with fuel, corrosion has gotten to the steel tube and fitting. OGTS has replacements for that. HTH.

Ron

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I was having problems with fuel smells in my cabin along with other rust related problems.

I took my tank into a radiator shop for an acid dip and then epoxy coating. That and new fittings cured my problems.

I also took the time to insulate the reas section better than the original insulation was. Now it is a LOT quieter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts