Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone installed a Fuel Cell in place of the stock gas tank? If so, what brand, installation tips, modifications, connection of filler tube, etc. Thanks in advance.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
This fuel cell is said to fit well with some cutting of the floor. I've not tried it myself(any comments Bob?)

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=RCI-2161A

Here's another cell of similiar proportions. He usually has lots of cells available but I don't see this particular size available at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33556&item=2477874798&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I've not yet decided exactly what to do in my car. I came close to purchasing each of the above at one time or another over the last year. I'm now leaning towards building a custom unit that fits without cutting the floor, with an attached pump mounted where I want it and the outlet and vent where I want it... It'll be a good excuse to buy a sheet metal brake. It's only time and money, right?

-Travis

·
333 Posts
I had an off the shelf ATL 8gal cell installed in my car a couple of months ago, I wanted everything to be FP legal, even if the car is going to be running IT for a while. Yes the floor had to be cut a little to get it to fit, and special brackets made up for it. For a filter there is a small bracket that was made up that holds the filter and the fuel pump this bracket is right at the "hump" just behind where the rear shocks bolt up to. For getting fuel in I had the roll over valve installed and a hose that goes to the inlet of the cell to the stock fuel filler location, with the ATL cap. It is a pretty nice cell with two pickups so I can run two fuel pumps. It was not too painfull expensive....but I have yet to find any race car parts that I would call cheap :)
If anyone is intrested I can post pics when I get home.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Travis said:
Here's another cell of similiar proportions. He usually has lots of cells available but I don't see this particular size available at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33556&item=2477874798&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

-Travis
That's the guy who was willing to make up some GT shaped tanks for me a while back. I don't off hand remember the pricing quoted then, but it would probably be more now anyway. Might want to give him a call about custom making you a tank or 2. If enough of you get together on it you might swing a decent deal, and maybe get ahold of Gil or Dennis if it is a go, so others in the future could just get them from OGTS.

·
Opeler
5 Posts
I lcoked at those tanks and can see how big of a challenge it is going to be. My Opel is a drag only car. I put in a 5 gallon plastic Harwood fuel cell and fabricated an aluminum shield where it goes thru the floor of the trunk. That alone was a fun task. There is not a whole lot of space there. My wheel tubs took most of the space up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts