Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there installed a fuel cell? My tank is perfect, but, I don't like the idea of a bombe in the cockpit with me.

If you have installed a fuel cell, please tell me what brand and model and tips about fitting the fuel filler neck if that is possible.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Bomb? What bomb? The GT, to my knowledge, and I could be wrong, has never has a fuel tank fire when the hoses and lines are kept in good operable condition. And it is not prone to exploding like the Pinto and a well known pickup truck were. Case in point, I was #5 in a 10 car pile-up on Interstate 5 here inSANe DIEGO, in my 71 GT, I never touched the car in front of me until I was at a dead stop and the cars behind me couldn't stop. I watched the front of the car get shorter and shorter as the cars jackhammered me into the car in front of me. The rear of the GT was dinged pretty good, but the fuel tank wasn't touched. Some good German engineering there, with a fair amount of anchoring and good sheetmetal bracing around the tank. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yes, the fuel tank in a GT is in an excellent location! Very strange, but it looks safe. Of course, for Speedway GT we were required to use a fuel cell and at first put it where everyone else does in a stock car. Behind the differential. The tech man noticed it was kind of scrunched in there and suggested we break tradition and mount it forward of the axle. Back to the drawing board. Had to get a whole different fuel cell even. But it worked out great. It has no fill tube. I rigged up a marine outboard gas connector to the suction port, we pump the gas in thru it. Other racers shake their heads, can't figure that one out, but the tech man loved it!
They come with a big top plate that can contain a fill cap, or a neck to which you can attach a filler hose to. Very simple. They are full of foam, no sloshing of fuel. They are just the ultimate in safe fuel storage.
This photo shows it in the early stages of installation. It is the red box. See the plate on top? It has no attachments pictured, eventually it got just a pickup port and a venting port. The vent port has a ball that closes the port when we get upside down. It happens...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.