Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new around here, so forgive me if I misplaced this question. I am planing to buy used Opel Astra G caravan, with a diesel engine. I am not sure if I should buy 1.7 DTI or 2.0 DTI. I would like to buy one that is more economical, that is which one generally consumes less fuel? If you know other Astra G (other than those 2 types) you could also recommend that.
Thank you for your time.

·
Super Moderator
8,243 Posts
Generally the smaller engine will win the mileage game.
The 2.0 with 101 [email protected] 4300rpm and 230 Nm torque is the winner in the fun factor.
Happy Opeling.
Unless the vehicle is underpowered by the smaller engine. Sometimes the difference in fuel economy is marginal at best. I doubt there would be more than a few miles per gallon difference. I do realize your fuel cost is probably much higher than ours here in the US.

Harold

·
Super Moderator
8,243 Posts
This could bring up an interesting question.
How many HP does it take to run a 3000lb vehicle at 55 mph?
Trying not to get in to a long discussion but to answer your question, my guess would be 25 to 30hp, the rest is needed for acceleration and maintaining speed under loads such as hills & head winds.

I think the condition and price of the vehicle is probably more important than the engine size IMHO.

Harold

·
Registered
11,747 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention - I will usually not be carrying a lot of stuff in my car. The only time when I carry a lot is when I go on vacation and from time to time. So, if I understood correctly, If I don't over encumber my car, than 1.7 would be a better choice for the mileage?

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
This all depends on your driving style.
I've heard of hybrid owners using the goose and glide method to get outstanding fuel mileage.
There is an excellent Top Gear episode on this. A BMW M3 got better gas mileage around their track than a Toyota Prius. The Prius was driven full out and the BMW was driven just behind at the same speed - basically trailing the Prius mimicking it's actions. The conclusion was that how you drive means just as much as what you drive for MPG. This is why I can't seem to get more than 13 MPG in my G8 and 17 MPG in my Solstice... :evil:

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
There is an excellent Top Gear episode on this. A BMW M3 got better gas mileage around their track than a Toyota Prius. The Prius was driven full out and the BMW was driven just behind at the same speed - basically trailing the Prius mimicking it's actions. The conclusion was that how you drive means just as much as what you drive for MPG. This is why I can't seem to get more than 13 MPG in my G8 and 17 MPG in my Solstice... :evil:
And this is why I can get 45+ mpgs in my Dad's 97 Civic even though is sometimes runs on only 3 cylinders!

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,520 Posts
Hello,
...I am planing to buy used Opel Astra G caravan, with a diesel engine. I am not sure if I should buy 1.7 DTI or 2.0 DTI. I would like to buy one that is more economical, that is which one generally consumes less fuel?
Since you are in Serbia, I assume you could go to an Opel dealership and ask your specific question about the fuel consumption. Besides, there are websites out there where you can find the fuel consumption of about any "modern" car.

Dieter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts