Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Fortunately we can get a new one from OGTS and not try and repair our original ones. I like many of you have repaired the original one which is not hard but tedious and time consuming :yup: Terry I agree with you, that one would end up in the trash :haha:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Fortunately we can get a new one from OGTS and not try and repair our original ones. I like many of you have repaired the original one which is not hard but tedious and time consuming :yup: Terry I agree with you, that one would end up in the trash :haha:
Dan I'm gonna need a bigger trash can at this rate:lmao:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Still struggling to get connectivity to the flange. I get good connectivity from the terminal to the spring with good resistance. I try from the terminal to the attachment screws and nothing.

·
Super Moderator
6,068 Posts
Still struggling to get connectivity to the flange. I get good connectivity from the terminal to the spring with good resistance. I try from the terminal to the attachment screws and nothing.
.... I have had success in repairing several of them by re-grounding the resistor wire plate to the body of the sending unit, either by soldering or using a screw to ground the plate to the body.

While is tricky to get solder to stick to the pot metal base, if it is scraped cleaned and fluxed, I can usually get a decent solder connection between the base and the copper spring plate. The alternative is to drill a small hole and screw the plate to the base
Read my Post #6 and look at the 3rd photo...

Reactions: soybean

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
I have to say a huge thanks to all who posted information and pictures reference repairing the original fuel sender unit :yup: In particular First Opel 1981 and Keith :banana: Wish I had that information before I tore into mine. I guess that's how you really learn is just doing it, but having some information in advance and pictures sure would have helped. At the time I overhauled my sender unit, OGTS did not have any new ones to purchase, but they do now and its only $69 :haha: It would have been easier to have just purchased one, but at least I can say I know how to repair one now :ugh:

·
Doug
101 Posts
Going through this convolution now. Two suggestions;

While you have your sending unit apart, make sure your float does. :)

And acetone does a nice job making the inside of the sending unit tube clean by dissolving the solidified fuel.

Lastly, great job everyone on the most excellent post!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts