Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my electric fuel pump conversion, as described in the thread "gr diver electric FP needs"

I realized I didn't need at all the metal fuel hose on the engine. Not only I don't need it, also in order to connect the flexible hose to it I had to curve it much, and that seemed as unnecessary stress, and possible failure point.

So I decided to reroute the fuel hose in the engine bay, and I found a very nice and easy way to do it. From the factory, the cables that go from the left headlight to the right one, are held by a couple of tabs right behind the nose. Right above that point the metal had a few very convenient holes, where I could re-position the cables, and hold them with zip-ties. I also used split wire loom to further protect them from the elements, although they are still behind a metal section (towards the nose).

Then using a single 2.5m long piece of flexible fuel hose, I replaced the whole line from the point where it attaches to the underbody plastic line, all the way to the front, passed it in front of the radiator and held it in place with the pre-mentioned tabs. Then, at the right side, I relocated the fuel filter and held it in place with a large hose retainer, to keep it away from the hot manifolds and t-stat housing. From there, I ran a short piece of hose to the carb's inlet. The fuel line is covered in plastic wire loom (NOT split), to keep it cool and protected from the elements.

My description might have been a bit confusing, but if you take a look at the pictures it will become crystal clear.

Now the fuel line is kept away from all heat sources, is not close to moving parts, and the engine bay got much more tidy!

I chose to keep the metal line's retainer at the camshaft's cover bolt, and used it to hold my vacuum line to the distributor, and the temp sensor's cable.

I hope somebody might find this useful in the future.

Regards

Antonis

Attachments

·
2,054 Posts
Very nice. Looks tidy. I've never liked the original path up the driver’s side of the engine, the bulky awkwardly placed stock filter, and routing between the head and fan blades.

Thank you for posting pictures. It will make it easier for the rest of us who decide to do the same as you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts