Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing all the work on my GT I noticed the hardline from the tank to the fuel pump appears to be semi-rigid plastic. Will this hold up to a ~45psi electric pump mounted below the gas tank when I upgrade to fuel injection? I've never seen another car that used non-metal hard lines.

Thanks

Dan

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
The plastic won't cut it. Use rigid metal lines (steel or aluminum), stainless braided hose, or high pressure FI rubber hose. Cheapest by far is the steel lines, it will cost less than running all rubber high pressure hose. S.S. braided costs a bunch, I think my fuel system on my racecar cost about $375 (not including fuel cell...ouch) I was going to upgrade the GRM Project Turbo Manta with metal lines for the FI system, using rubber hose only at connections and where it needs to flex.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
The Aeroquip socketless hose would be another option priced somewhere between the metal lines and the stainless braided hose.

Also, since FI runs much higher pressures than with a carb you can use smaller(cheaper) hose without affecting the flow of the system.

-Travis

·
Certified Opelholic
1,482 Posts
yep what Bob and Travis said

I used Brake line we i converted my GT to FI

called Flexi line you can form it to the bottom of the car

and ever 6 inches or so i but a clamp

worked great

The return line I used the stock line that was already there.

good luck

Davegt74

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I was thinking of some thin wall aluminum 3/8" line and 1/4" return. The stock plastic scares me even though it is really just a straw.

Travis, Could you elaborate or provide a site for aeroquip?

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Has anyone used the Aeroquip socketless hose for fuel line in their Opel? It seems like it would be a good lower-cost alternative to braided stainless (the plumbing connectors are reasonably priced), and it would probably be far easier to install than trying to bend up stainless tubing (I don't want to use aluminum or steel). I'd like to run the socketless hose from the fuel tank all the way to the engine. Initial application will be for a carb, but I want to eventually switch over to EFI (already have the fuel tank converted for EFI plumbing). Any suggestions or recommendations? I have everything under the car removed and will be coating with POR-15, so now is the time.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Has anyone used the Aeroquip socketless hose for fuel line in their Opel? It seems like it would be a good lower-cost alternative to braided stainless (the plumbing connectors are reasonably priced), and it would probably be far easier to install than trying to bend up stainless tubing (I don't want to use aluminum or steel). I'd like to run the socketless hose from the fuel tank all the way to the engine. Initial application will be for a carb, but I want to eventually switch over to EFI (already have the fuel tank converted for EFI plumbing). Any suggestions or recommendations? I have everything under the car removed and will be coating with POR-15, so now is the time.

Thanks,
Todd
I've plumbed a few cars with the Aeroquip socketless. Certainly cheaper and easier to assemble than stainless braided. As an added plus it doesn't file away at components and paint on your car like steel braided hose does, however it needs to be plumbed in such a way as to avoid abrading the hose itself. Get some stainless steel Adel clamps and use stainless steel 3/16" rivets and you're good to go!

I used the black Socketless hose and nickel plated fittings on Gregg's oil breather setup BTW.

PS, this company has a nice variety of their own push-on style fittings for a good price. The appearance is also different from anything else out there. I spoke with them at the PRI show a few years ago, and checked out their products firsthand.
http://64.202.180.37/files/phosend.pdf
British American Transfer
http://64.202.180.37/files/phose.pdf

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Well, let me apologize up front for yet another stupid question, but what size Adel clamps should/can one use for the -6AN socketless hose? The BATinc page lists a 9/16" ID clamp for the -6AN, however their clamps are aluminum. The Del City clamps (link also posted by Bob) are stainless, but are not offered in the 9/16" size. I'd like to use the stainless clamps, with stainless screws.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Well, let me apologize up front for yet another stupid question, but what size Adel clamps should/can one use for the -6AN socketless hose? The BATinc page lists a 9/16" ID clamp for the -6AN, however their clamps are aluminum. The Del City clamps (link also posted by Bob) are stainless, but are not offered in the 9/16" size. I'd like to use the stainless clamps, with stainless screws.
Todd, the socketless hose has an OD dimension of between .62" to .63", depending on which particular hose you order (per the pdf document). So a 5/8" Adel clamp should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts