Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a picture or info on the water neck for the EFI intake setup? I have the manifold and didn't pay attention to the thermostat housing when I had it built so the fuel rail goes right into the water neck. I need to know if I need to do something custom to mine or if the stock EFI one will work.

Thanks, I'm kind of in a hurry with this because I need it to be ready within a week.

Dan

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I don't have a close up picture right now, but I can get you one Friday. I have one that I am working on to polish up.

Here are links to two photos that will get you started.

http://www.opelgt.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1841/password//sort/1/cat/500/page/1
http://www.opelgt.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1840/password//sort/1/cat/500/page/1

The main difference is that the thermostat is turned 90 degrees toward the passenger wheel. The hoses on an EFI thermostat housing come out the front or the front bottom where the regular thermostat hose (singular) comes out the top front.

The other thing the thermostat housing has is several sensors used by the EFI for engine temperature. It also serves as the mount from some of the other EFI hardware, such as the cold air bypass.

If you didn't get the thermostat housing for an EFI setup, it sounds like you might be missing several other critical assemblies.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't really think I needed the housing, My injection setup is all aftermarket, a lot like RallyBob just built. I may have to do something like cut the housing and relocate it to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Dan, just curious, are you having you EFI stuff built by P.T.R. Injection? I ordered the S.D.S. through them and thought it was ironic that they were mentioned they were currently in the process of building someone an Opel system in their area (Oregon).

Bob

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PTR is about a mile from my house, they are actually in Spokane, WA. I am running EMS on the Opel so they were probably talking about me.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Talk about ironic.....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found my solution. I'll just need to plug the tapped hole on the front of the fuel rail and drill and tap a new hole on the bottom for the fuel inlet, then use the hole in the back for the return line, I didn't realize until I talked to Kirk at PTR that it doesn't matter where the lines come in since they just pressurize the fuel rail. he said it would be better to do it the way we had it set up but it shouldn't make a difference. I'll get some pictures of the rail up soon. The only other thing I'll need to do is put in an extra temp sensor for the computer (in addition to the one I'm using for my temp gauge) into the carburated thermostat housing. My header is getting the O2 sensor bung put in right now so hopefully with any luck the EMS will be installed and fired this weekend!

Dan

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That thing is a beast! Glad I found a way to not use it, I'd have a lot more work to do to get it working I think. Thanks for the pictures, it helps a lot.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
the reverse Flow (FI) setup is supposed to be better then the stock setup at least thats what i herd

Bob any thoughts

davegt27

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
the reverse Flow (FI) setup is supposed to be better than the stock setup at least thats what i heard

Bob any thoughts

davegt27
. . . uh, buffaloes?

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
Reactions: Frozen Tundra GT

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
OMG lol I am expert at seeing mistakes after the fact

Gary; would not allow people to change posts after a period of time so I am sure this is not the only one

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
OMG lol I am expert at seeing mistakes after the fact

Gary; would not allow people to change there posts after a period of time so I am sure this is not the only one
Then you better edit this one in a hurry. Their

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
I have an extra FI Aux air valve/ thermostat housing if you need one

if you don't want to use one then you have to identify and replicate the needed items

1) the L-jet uses a reverse flow setup and that is one of the reasons for the funny looking thermostat housings

reverse flow is used to allow the engine to warm up faster (head is warmed up first if I remember right)

you really don't have to have the reverse flow setup

2) the FI system has its own water temp sensor so that would be the easiest item to replace

you next have the thermo time switch, Aux air valve, and the gage water temp sensor

HTH

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
I have an extra FI Aux air valve/ thermostat housing if you need one

if you don't want to use one then you have to identify and replicate the needed items

1) the L-jet uses a reverse flow setup and that is one of the reasons for the funny looking thermostat housings

reverse flow is used to allow the engine to warm up faster (head is warmed up first if I remember right)

you really don't have to have the reverse flow setup

2) the FI system has its own water temp sensor so that would be the easiest item to replace

you next have the thermo time switch, Aux air valve, and the gage water temp sensor

HTH

Davegt27, Thanks for your help and all your posts on EFI. Time and time again while researching EFI I learn from your contributions.

I have a 2.4 with 2.4 head. The thermostat housing adapter installed to eliminate heater hose to back of block and use 1.9 thermostat. I bought a 2.4 efi set up advertised as being from Irmscher i240 Manta.

Couple questions... and pics included

Where do I mount thermo time switch? 1.9 thermo housing only has gauge water temp sensor opening? Should I remove adapter and install goofy thermo housing? Is this a 75 thermo housing I have? I prefer to eliminate rear heater hose to block, as this can be a hard to reach leak down the road.

red power wire- direct to battery?

Anybody have a good pic of 2.0 le jetronic setup from above viewpoint? So I can see how it is routed etc? So many rad hoses??? Or schematic etc? and finally, pic below where I am holding plug... where does this go? is this the main connection? where do I tie into?

Attachments

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
ok the center picture you posted that whole thing its purpose is to by pass air around the throttle plate (yeah crazy)

they are using the water temp to control what is call the cold start circuit

now back to the center picture you see the big brown thing pointed up, that is the thermo-time switch
the small thing to the right next to it is the water temp gauge sensor.

the other sensor pointed to the left down low is the temp sensor for the FI system (might be getting a little fuzzy in my old age but I think that is it)
the thing on top is the auxiliary air valve and it has a black plug.

this whole housing gets mounted to the head

Anybody have a good pic of 2.0 le jetronic setup from above viewpoint?
post 170
https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member-projects/54066-saving-my-2-2-engine-documentation-thread-9.html

red power wire- direct to battery?
I cant find my wire diagrams so I wont say for fear of making a mistake
I think it was 2 power connections (one went to the starter solenoid)

the last picture on the left I did not use on my 2.0 FI hook-up

I will try to take some pics

David

1 - 20 of 28 Posts