Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a '73 GT in fairly good shape. I hadn't had one for about 20 years. The car seems to run great & I'm excited to get to work on it. I have two questions:
1. When the tank is full there is very bad fuel leak in the tank area. Is there something common I should look for?
2. The fuel gauge moves to the high side of the red when the key is turned but does not move beyond that. Again, is there something common I should look for?

Thanks!!!

·
371 Posts
re

hey my was like too
the vapor return line were roted i replased them and fuel smell went away
as for the gas gage i have not got it fix yet
thank you
ben

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Two, things, well actually more than two. First off, you have to get back to the gas tank and replace all the vent lines, they probably are the originals and after 30 + years have probably crumbled in to plastic dust or close to it. Second, while you are back there, look at the panel where the fuel sensor and float is, Double check that electrical lead, make sure it's clean and corrosion free. A good thing to do would be to run a separate ground from one of the panel bolts, back to one of the tail light grounds. They are accessible by removing the lens and reflector. You see the grounds in the mounting structure of the lites. If you do replace the vent lines, note carefully the location and orientation of the "T" fittings, they are critical to proper venting of the gas tank, using different size openings in the fittings. Also check the fuse panel attaching studs and hardware. There are ground wires on the studs for all the gages and the instrument panel itself. Again, make sure the studs, hardware and connectors are corrosion free and tight. HTH.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
hi jmbinjax
if you have a smell only when full i would look to the area around the filler hose as it might be split , other areas to look at are the vent hoses and tank top /seal around the gauge
as you say the gauge is not reading right it may have been taken out to look at and the seal damaged

if you look around the section you posted in you will find info on the vents, filler and sender

·
Opeler
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses and the I'll try the gauge recommendations. As for the fuel leak, IT IS A LEAK, not just a smell. The fuel was actually dripping from the right side drain. I removed the right side rear lights and there is definitely gas leaking from somewhere. Any other thoughts?

·
Opeler
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I found the leak. I removed the spare tire shelf and there's a vent on the front-right side of the tank. The vent hoses are laying in pieces and there's a "T" in the pile as well. I looked through previous posts and found mention numerous times to take note of vent hose and "T" locations but I could fnot ind a description of proper routing and location. Any help???

Thanks!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts