Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at replacing the fuel line from tank to carb as a fall project on my Manta. Is there any preference to sticking with the steel line (or stainless steel) versus going with a rubber line all the way? Rubber would be easier to route and I assume should be as safe as steel. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jeff, just to give you an idea, I just got a 20 foot length of #4 (3/16") stainless for Willit? to finish up the vent system from the tank to the charcoal cannister. $51 and some change. I've got 20 feet of 1/2" stainless I WAS gonna run for the fuel supply from the feeder pump to the surge tank and high pressure line to the fuel rail. It's extremely hard to bend by hand. My cheapy hand tube bender only goes as big as 3/8". So I'm gonna run 3/8" high pressure hose instead, and it will cost a lot less than the stainless I got today. HTH.

·
88 Posts
Earl's Performance Plumbing

Call Earl's at (310) 644-2298 (Lawndale, CA) or look for their on-line catalog. They will fabricate almost anything if you send them the original for reference and its relatively cheap. They might alo have what you need.

BTW, my cooler lines (74 Ascona) are flex line only for a short distance - near the tranny. They are steel from the raditor back to the frame rail near the bell housing, then about a foot of flexible line, and then steel around the tranny and to the trannny connection. The less flex line you have the better - the stuff rubs, breaks down, and leaks. Also get the right kind of clamps to connect the flex lines to the steel - fully encircled pressure clamps - or youll always have a small leak.

The ends at the raditor are banjo fittings on mine (not right angles).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
namba209 said:
Jeff, just to give you an idea, I just got a 20 foot length of #4 (3/16") stainless for Willit? to finish up the vent system from the tank to the charcoal cannister. $51 and some change. I've got 20 feet of 1/2" stainless I WAS gonna run for the fuel supply from the feeder pump to the surge tank and high pressure line to the fuel rail. It's extremely hard to bend by hand. My cheapy hand tube bender only goes as big as 3/8". So I'm gonna run 3/8" high pressure hose instead, and it will cost a lot less than the stainless I got today. HTH.
That was my thinking also. Stainless steel is great but a lot more difficult to work with, tho I am not adverse to a little work. With rubber hose there is less chance of heat transfer to the fuel inside the line when idleing in traffic or the local drive thru. You can route it just about anywhere also as long as the proper connectors are used and it is kept away from sharp edges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts