Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me Ascona / Sport Wagon has a fuel pump that squeals like a pig. I purchased new pump to install but didnt like what I saw when I scouted it out.

Suspension part Suspension Catalytic converter Engine Automotive fuel system Rust Cylinder

My question is does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a new or used fuel pump bracket and filter bracket for a factory fuel injected 75 Opel?

·
Detritus Maximus
2,922 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think the old 70's Volvos used the same pump as the Opels. I suspect bracketry may be very similar. If I recall correctly, the bracket had rubber isolator feet.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,922 Posts
Here is a thread with some pics...including a couple pics of the Opel bracket.

1975 manta fuel pump

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
The original brackets will be a kludge fit for the newer fuel pumps, like the pump you show and like what you probably have. They are mounted to the chassis with 3 small vibration mounts, and those vibration mounts rot and break. So you are better off to make something new. Small vibration isolators can be found if you want it as quiet as possible.

The large outlet on the tank will be the fuel feed into the pump and the pump output goes to the filter. The small hose connection going into the tank will be the return fuel from the pressure regulator up in the engine compartment.

Do yourself a BIG favor and drop the tank and clean it an inspect it. Make sure it is not full of gum in the bottom from the alcohol in the fuel settling out and absorbing moisture, and make sure it is not rusted up inside. Crud from the tank may have been sucked up into the pump during your drive home. These tanks are easy to drop: take the 4 screws out holding the fuel filler flange to the fender, and then the 4 bolts holding the tank strap in place while hilding it up with a jack and board. Use the jack to lower it and watch for the vent lines up by the filler; you may have to cut and replace those, but they will be nearly rotted after 45 years anyway. And the fuel sensor line and ground lead need to be disconnected too.

Let me know what you need to know and any pix needed. I restored the '75 FI system in my Ascona to factory configuration last year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts