Opel GT Forum banner

Fuel Pump Starving

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kwilford 
#1 ·
fuel pump status

my car runs, but is the fuel pump about to go out or is it inadequate?

there was only one filter on the car from the PO. (the old steel filter was at the carb and had rust debris in it as a I back washed it for my curiosity.) I assume this debris went thru the fuel pump to get to the filter ..since it had accumulated here..

Has this rust damaged the pump?

2 weeks ago i put on a see thru filter at the carb as pictured. it mostly runns about 2/3 - 3/4 full as pictuerd ..even with the engine running. earlier in the day it was 10% full with the car running ..but it never died.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, It's hard to tell with all of the crud but some of the pumps have a screen in them that can get caked up. see if you can open up the pump and clean the screen. Also if there's that much rust and particals in filter I would think about replacing fuel lines and getting the tank boiled out. Just a thought.

Good luck,
Webster :)

#3 ·
rule?

I thought I heard on this site that if the fuel filter is not more than 2/3 full then the pump needs to be replaced..is that a true statement?

#4 ·
Bucky,

From your other post on the rust in your fuel tank, that could be the source of your problems.

1.There is a screen "sock" in the fuel tank at the fuel line. This may be clogged.

2.There might be another fuel filter that might be clogged.

You might try to resolve this in this order;

1. remove the fuel line from the carburator and have someone turn over your car while you hold the line into a bucket. See what the fuel rate is.

2. remove the fuel line from the tank side of the filter to see what the flow rate is.

3. remove the fuel line from your tank to see what the flow rate is out of your tank.

That will get you started isolating where the problem might exist.

My guess is that your tank might be clogged from some of your other posts.:(

#6 ·
Fuel Pump

Think about re-moving the OEM fuel pump and replace with an after-market electric pump. You can mount it back near the tank. You can also insert a cut-off switch discreetly located to discourage someone from driving off with your car.

I recommend the use of a thick rubber spacer between the pump and the body pan to eliminate transmitting the pump sound through into the interior.

Opel GT Source sells a reasonably priced blank so you can remove the original diaphram pump.

My son & I fixed up an abandoned GT for his 1st car. The gas in the tank (about 5 gallons) was as old as he was. It was full of all sorts of crud. So we installed a see-through filter back near where the fuel line comes out of the tank. Still kept the other filter up front, but replaced it with a high quality, glass housed, re-usable filter. That back one ended up needing changed every couple of months for about two years. Now we've eliminated it 'cause the car doesn't really need it anymore.

#7 ·
Fuel pump has mesh strainer (unless removed by PO) which can be accessed for cleaning by removing single screw in center of cover.

#8 ·
Otto (aka "tekenaar"),

Where did your instructions go, describing how to remove the sock filter? It used to be on the classicopels list, where I had printed it from, but it is no longer there. And I just printed it, and didn't keep the "file". If you were to e-mail it to Gary, he could place it in the "Downloads" section, with a link in this thread.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.