Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel question

this is the second time ive gotten two diffrent stories on somthing and its already getting old, first- you have to run the 1971 opel 1900 motor on leaded fuel or you will burn up your valves, second - adding the lead subbstitute to your fuel is pointless and a waste of money. can anyone help me out?

·
Super Moderator
6,030 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I wasn't aware of this "hot spot" in the head. Maybe we need to look at how to enhance coolant flow to the area as well as the other tips mentioned. I'd like to have one of these cracked heads to saw in two, wanna take a look inside... By feeling around inside the water jacket there with a piece of wire I see there's a lot of area, maybe not enough flow?
Smokey Yunick fixed such problems in his Indy Chev V8s by poking tubes into hot spots, within the water jackets, directing more coolant flow to these areas. And he invented the reverse cooling flow, used quite often today, cooling the head before the block. I've always thought that made sense...
I guess I've strayed a bit from the topic of fuel grade, but the cracked head and Bob's dual grind cam took me here...

·
Super Moderator
6,030 Posts
jeff denton said:
I wasn't aware of this "hot spot" in the head. Maybe we need to look at how to enhance coolant flow to the area as well as the other tips mentioned. I'd like to have one of these cracked heads to saw in two, wanna take a look inside... By feeling around inside the water jacket there with a piece of wire I see there's a lot of area, maybe not enough flow?
Smokey Yunick fixed such problems in his Indy Chev V8s by poking tubes into hot spots, within the water jackets, directing more coolant flow to these areas. And he invented the reverse cooling flow, used quite often today, cooling the head before the block. I've always thought that made sense...
I guess I've strayed a bit from the topic of fuel grade, but the cracked head and Bob's dual grind cam took me here...
Jeff, had you read about punching the extra holes in your head gasket between #2 & 3 cylinders? There is a whole (hole?) thread dedicated to the topic at
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3296
Here is one of the photos reprised

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts