Opel GT Forum banner

Fuel Return for Early Mantas getting EFI

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Justion337 
#1 · (Edited)
The Problem: Tank with no return line, and only 1/4" vent lines.

The Solutions :

1 - Braze/Weld to tank a nipple : Not always easy to do or simple
2 - Edelbrock Fuel Sump - https://amzn.to/3eytYr4 at $340 a decent option. Requires use of a low pressure fuel pump to feed it.
3 - 2 in and 1 out fuel filter - This works BUT you can end up with hot fuel and problems with the fuel pump dying early due to pressure.
4 - An In Tank setup that is available, but in my case wouldn't fit in the tank - HyperFuel 40015 Hyperfuel Tight-Fit In-Tank Retrofit Fuel Pump Kits | Summit Racing
OR
5 - This crazy idea I got from the fact I already had a 3 psi electric pump in the car and a high pressure inline pump that used AN fittings.

In theory it is very similar to #2.. I KNOW the system will work. Its a matter of reliability and how well the High pressure fuel pump handles the positive pressure on the back of it. It should help the pump.. BUT it could cause cavation. Given the inline styles of pumps I don't think that would be an issue.

What do you all think ?

My theory is this..

The Return from regulator is feeding the Feed Tank, so it stays full

The 3 PSI only has to Feed the tank when there is a negative pressure in the tank.. much like it was doing with a carb anyway

The High Pressure pump only had a limited amount of loop to feed so its operating temps should stay low, and being it has pressure to the feed line should keep it running longer.

Also the return to the tank is the highest point of the system so it should self vent to the tank

See less See more
Reactions: The Scifi Guy
#5 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Yes, the system will work just fine. There will not even be any back pressure on the high-pressure pump, because it blows fuel back into the catch tank which is vented back into the tank.
I have that system in my Kadett D with the Turbo engine. It's making sure that the high-pressure pump always gets fuel, even in extreme driven curves.

Dieter

Reactions: GoinManta
#9 ·
Here's what I settled on for my GT:
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Which is a Hyperfuel Command Center:
Command Center 2 – HyperFuel Systems

Good news was it's compact so it fit nearby the SSD DCOE, which will be replaced by a Jenvey FI unit. Bad news was that it required plumbing a return line; I went with nickel/copper hard-line, and AN fittings back to the vent line on the front passenger side of of the tank. Having a return, probably means the fuel stays cooler. Although having it near the engine/exhaust doesn't help with keeping fuel cool. But the headers are coated, and the HyperFuel unit is in a little insulated wrap, so it may be ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.