Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went through the normal fault find process earthed wire at tank end across fuel gauge goes up to maximum so not gauge got to be sender.

Just fitted new fuel sender from Opel GT Source ( removed transit pin and warning sticker ) checked earth wires clean and tight and plenty of fuel

Turn key, reads below empty doesn't go up :-(

Duff new sender or am I missing something here ?

·
1,719 Posts
Did you test the unit before you installed it ? Float could be stuck.

Reactions: kwilford

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
706 Posts
Not sure if this is the same problem that I had but if it is I can save you hours and the use of many 4 letter words. My replacement part from OGTS was an after market unit that was a bit cheaper than the one that is more OEM. Anyway the actually float was defective, that is, it would not float in gas like a fishing cork but when you put the unit in gas the float did not float stayed on the bottom of the unit showing that the tank was empty. Sounds pretty impossible but that is in fact what happened. I received the more expensive unit and it worked like a charm, no issues. Easy to test, just take it out and place the whole unit in water and see what happens, then repeat with gas.........................

·
Vendor
2,976 Posts
Not sure if this is the same problem that I had but if it is I can save you hours and the use of many 4 letter words. My replacement part from OGTS was an after market unit that was a bit cheaper than the one that is more OEM. Anyway the actually float was defective, that is, it would not float in gas like a fishing cork but when you put the unit in gas the float did not float stayed on the bottom of the unit showing that the tank was empty. Sounds pretty impossible but that is in fact what happened. I received the more expensive unit and it worked like a charm, no issues. Easy to test, just take it out and place the whole unit in water and see what happens, then repeat with gas.........................
I also had a "sunk float" on the last sender I bought for my corvair. It was plastic, and had a pin hole or leaking seal. I fortunately was able to swap out with the original float, which was soldered brass (and still gas-tight to this day)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmmm, similar proiblem with Tri Chevy floats. Thanks will check out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts