Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks Ron, I'll shut up until I can work on it, too easy to sit at work and raise conjecture all day (and waste peoples' time with posts like this :eek:)when the job itself would likely take 1/2 hour.
Methinks it will take a bit longer than that Jeff, considering you'll have to pull the spare tire shelf out to access the area. But what the hey, it's called gaining experience. :D

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
I undid last spring's work. I took the T's out. I might have lucked out in that I broke the non-little orifice one, therefore I still have the T with the small hole if pic #1 is showing the little hole in there. Pic #2 shows the other passage through the T and it's wide open. I put it back the way it "should be": small opening toward filler neck. Another post with another pic to follow.

Attachments

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Here's a picture for posterity. That vent hose attaches so high on filler neck, could gas really get down there? Wouldn't it just run into the tank anyway? When I fill up I slow down the pump when I get close to full, then put the nozzle in deep so the cut off stays low and I don't get much if any gas up in the filler tube. Hose and gasket look fine and dry. Will likely just replace anyway, and hope there's no holes in the tank.

Attachments

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Found it!

Took another look back there after driving to work in her today. Was obvious now that the whole top of the fuel level sending unit is wet with gas. Hmmm, that ain't right. Good excuse to work up another order to OGTS!

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
long winded musings

I resealed the sending unit and I still get fumes in the car after she sits shut up for a bit.
Revisiting the canister issue.
I've read through the threads but have some questions yet. (sorry if I've missed the answer).
Could one just run the tank vent line straight to the carb bowl vent port? (my 38 has one and it's open and I put a fitting in it (currently just capped).
Is there much of a vacuum situation in the float bowl chamber?
Or would this effectively "close up" the system creating a vacuum in the tank?
I guess it could.
I'm thinking of going to an adapter and stock filter housing intake. If so, where do you hook up the large valve cover line? Somewhere on the snorkel I read?
Does one really need a cannister I guess is the question too.
Normally the system would pull in replacement air for the tank through the carb throat fitting (Solex) through the cannister, back to the tank.
Weber: through the air filter housing (T-d at large valve cover hose) through the canister to the tank.
Weber via adapter and stock air filter/snorkel: through a T as with Weber filter, through canister to tank.
How about T on large hose at valve cover running straight to the tank, any needed make up air would come from with the air filter housing/snorkle or would that leave the possibility of fumes in the engine compartment?

·
Opeler
3,106 Posts
Looks like picture in Post #23 is incorrect for smaller opening in T-fitting.
Smaller hole in T-fitting location makes more sense in later documentation.

Previous owner of my GT, replaced vent lines with brass T-fittings and 5/16" rubber fuel line hose.
I am sure that the smaller opening T-fitting is missing on my GT. Someday? :thinking:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,462 Posts
Hmmm.....interesting to read that '69 GT's only had one vent hose and they just vented the fumes to the atmosphere out the bottom of the car.

I and some others do that. I just had to make sure that the one hose I use coming from the filler neck arcs high above the tank to prevent fuel fill ups from squirting fuel into that line. My vent line then arcs over and down the front of a rear wheel well and vents just in front of the tire. I needed to also wrap the end of the hose with some window screen to prevent spiders from making a nest in the tube and blocking the line. Spiders are drawn to the smell of gas and the convenient diameter of the hose opening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All, I found the culprit in my 71-GT. It was the T-Fittings. The plastic connections to the tank was broken with some small gas even on the tank floor. Took me 45 mins to correct. Thanks all Opelers.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts