Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post- I need help!
I have leaky 74 Manta fuel tank that I need to replace. Patches not holding up. Anyone ever do this? I can find every part online except for the actual fuel tank/container. Any help much appreciated!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I will have a 74 Manta fuel tank available in a few weeks, parting out whole car.

Send me a PM and I will contact you if interested.

SteveGT

·
Registered
908 Posts
Not sure if this is the cheapest way to go but it certainly works. I've had good experience with them.

Moyer Fuel Tank Renu - antique gas tank repair restoration, classic car gas tanks GASTANK
I've been going back and forth on this. My tank is actually in great shape so it is not leaking. I just worry the vents will get sealed and wonder what happens around the baffle when it is sealed. Is that really an issue? I have an electric fuel pump so I'm worried about the tank collapsing.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,606 Posts
You poke/ream/drill the vent holes and outlet once the stuff has dried, so no worries about clogging them.

I don't know what the thread size is, but it's worth considering replacement of the outlet with a bigger size or some other bigger commonly available fitting, like a barbed one. I know that others have done it. Some have had a bung with common NPT threads or something welded on. The oem outlet sticks up inside an inch or so and can prevent you from getting at that last bit of gas, a bung and a fitting would be more flush to the bottom. Putting a bigger 3/8" outlet will assure that your engine gets all the gas it wants. You might find a right angle fitting so that you don't have your fuel line pointing straight down towards the exhaust the oem way. There's lots of pluses to replacing the oulet. Afterwards you can do the lining of the tank.

·
Vendor
87 Posts
If you do reline the tank with one of the available D.I.Y sealers, be careful to make sure it cures on its edge, away from vents and the area where the sender fits........ Ask me how I know that one......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts