Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Opeler
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sender is completly bad. I'm asking OGTS and Opelgtparts but it is not available anymore.So is there someone who make such a sender for themselve? or are there other posibility's (other brands?)

·
197 Posts
If you have spoken to OGTS, I am sure you are aware that they are capable of rebuilding sending units but there are limitations. You will have to check yours and see if you can get the nut off the bottom of the cylindrical housing and check the unit inside. If the wire is broken, that can be replaced and the grounding point cleaned up. In most cases this fixes most units. If you don't have a rebuildable candidate, PM me and we can work out a deal on a rebuildable one. I have also heard that a VW beetle sending unit will work but it is a little long for the GT tank so a spacer will have to be manufactured. This is just hearsay so don't hold my feet to the fire. Good luck

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
What like cleaning the rod and float contacts and sending me a self addressed envelope for new wire. sounds rough but can be done.

·
Opeler
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
strange,I have no cylindrical housing. Just a rod and a floater.I have some time on sunday and I will open the tank again and make some pictures of what I have. Thanks for the info so far.(greetz from Belgium)

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
duvel said:
strange,I have no cylindrical housing. Just a rod and a floater.I have some time on sunday and I will open the tank again and make some pictures of what I have. Thanks for the info so far.(greetz from Belgium)
I suspect that you don't have a GT. Is it a Manta, Ascona or Kadett? Or...?

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
duvel said:
No No it's a 1900 GT (a beautiful red one :) )
So "someone" has removed the level sending unit in the past, and tried to repair it, and left the outer "can" off before they re-installed it? Hmm...

As Dave has said, the unit is quite simple. As the float rises, the cross bar "shorts out" the resistor wire, decreasing it's effective resistance. If your wires are intact, what resistance do you get across the terminals with the float at the top, and what resistance when it is at the bottom? If it is infinite at both ends, then you just might have a poor connection from one wire end to the terminal. I had to solder one terminal end to get it to make a proper connection

HTH

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
GT fuel sender ground

lewdawg said:
If you have spoken to OGTS, I am sure you are aware that they are capable of rebuilding sending units but there are limitations. You will have to check yours and see if you can get the nut off the bottom of the cylindrical housing and check the unit inside. If the wire is broken, that can be replaced and the grounding point cleaned up. In most cases this fixes most units. If you don't have a rebuildable candidate, PM me and we can work out a deal on a rebuildable one. I have also heard that a VW beetle sending unit will work but it is a little long for the GT tank so a spacer will have to be manufactured. This is just hearsay so don't hold my feet to the fire. Good luck
This is what the problem was with the 3 units I've personally repaired . . . VERY COMMON PROBLEM due to how sender is manufactured.

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
You are correct, the outer can is missing. There is a thread about repairing these things. The problem is under the rivet that holds the tab on where the wire connects. You have to carefully grind it off, clean everything to develop good electrical contact again, and then replace the rivet with a brass screw. I have repaired two this way and they are both perfect.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I do believe the wire is what we call NiChrome here in the States, it's mainly used for heating elements in electrical appliances. I don't know the size in diameter, but Dave (nobody) had some earlier I think, perhaps you could contact him and see if he still has some. Also the fix is fairly simple according to him and Otto (Tekenaar). HTH.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Repairs ....

Here is a link to the repair Thread:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1e-oth...t-fuel-sender-wire.html?highlight=Fuel+sender

Note that ALL GM fuel gauges use a similar resistance - even 6-volt ones - and that the gauge itself MUST be in the circuit to test the resistance because they are ALL 6-volt systems with a compensating resistor inside the fuel gauge for 12-volt applications ...

Good Ole GM - "If it works don't change it" !! :lmao:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.