Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,558 Posts
This brings up an interesting question. Has anyone seen or heard of a honing torque plate to fit the CIH? If there are none for sale or rent, I'll make one.
Here ya go.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,837 Posts
No its not actually overdo. I changed the oil and filter 3 times since the initial start up.
Roger.... I just meant you could have changed to synthetic a lot sooner. I'll do a 50 or 100 miles change and then again by a few hundred.. for the race motors they would go to synthetic at the 1st oil change. Usually not enough miles to the 1st event to wait for the 2nd change. The latest street motor is going to have it's 3rd change at 250-300 miles and it'll be to synthetic.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Just confirming with this conversation, when synthetic oil is mentioned, it’s easy enough for someone to get the idea that any off the shelf synthetic you can pick up at the local auto parts store will for our CIH engines.

As previously mentioned the ZDDP levels are lower in the store on most synthetic or synthetic blends.
I’ve already mentioned that I’m sticking to the Brad Penn for now, that has all that covered.

So are we just adding ANY synthetic oil to our engines after 3,000 miles or less without adding any additional ZDDP?

How about after 30,000 miles?

·
Super Moderator
13,558 Posts
Just confirming with this conversation, when synthetic oil is mentioned, it’s easy enough for someone to get the idea that any off the shelf synthetic you can pick up at the local auto parts store will for our CIH engines.

As previously mentioned the ZDDP levels are lower in the store on most synthetic or synthetic blends.
I’ve already mentioned that I’m sticking to the Brad Penn for now, that has all that covered.

So are we just adding ANY synthetic oil to our engines after 3,000 miles or less without adding any additional ZDDP?

My three oils I use exclusively for the CIH engines are Brad Penn Racing oil (previously Kendall Racing oil but they were bought out), Red Line synthetic engine oil, and Motul synthetic oil. None are cheap, but worn out racing engines cost a lot more so....

Honestly the Brad Penn is so good at protecting the engine, that for racing there’s no need to go with a full synthetic. But for a street engine the extended oil change intervals are nice with synthetics.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,837 Posts

The ZDDP has to get renewed each time; it has to be kept up in a certain range as supposedly it will gradually get used up. Until eternity, or rollers lifters are installed....

I prefer to use an oil with the proper levels in it already. Just avoids and possible chance of a separate additive fighting the additive package in the oil. That is reportedly possible; but there seems to be plenty of folks using additives who report no issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
....I used to use Valvoline VR1 20-50 racing oil until I went to add some to the car one cold winter morning and it poured out of the bottle like STP. No way do I don't want anything that gets that thick when it's cold.
I used 20w50 once in a feeble attempt to bump the oil pressure. The engine was noticeably slower! Until recently I used three quarts of Valvoline VR1 10w30 and one quart of VR1 20w50. I've recently switched to Shaeffer's Racing Oil in a 15w40 viscosity. It's synthetic, I like the weight and it is advertised as having extra Zinc. What's not to love about that?

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,837 Posts
Just wish they had an 'in-between' weight for the VR1.....which is why you mixed them, I presume....

BTW is that you in your avatar, at an early age?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finally changed my oil and filter. 2 bottles of Lucas full synthetic 20w50, 1 bottle of Lucas synthetic 5w40 and 1/4 bottle of Lucas cam break in zinc additive. Thanks for everyone's participation in this thread

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
Just wish they had an 'in-between' weight for the VR1.....which is why you mixed them, I presume....
Correct. Apparently some of the members have no problem using a higher viscosity oil than was ever recommended for our cars.
BTW is that you in your avatar, at an early age?
Age 4 maybe? I don't tell many people this, because I'm usually too modest to toot my own horn, but I no doubt inspired Clint Eastwood in several of his westerns with the exception of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". Just wanted to get in front of that one before some of you took liberties! :cautious:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts