Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, its been awhile since Ive had a good battery hooked up to my 71 GT, but I could always start it with a jump. So, today I decide to go and get a new battery and start with the rewiring of the car. HOWEVER, before I do the whole thing, I thought I'd start off checking a few of the obvious bad places. i.e. Under the hood. I saw that some of my wiring was pretty nasty looking so I decided to replace some of the bad parts.

One such place is where I have a fusable link from the 10G red and white wire that comes directly from the fuse box and then is a fusable link to the top of the starter and attaches to the same place as the Positive wire from the battery.

Horrible and old looking splice, so I replace it with new fusable link. As soon as I hook the positive to the battery, the thing starts smoking. So....next I have another old wiring harness and I get the old fusable link from it, same thing. Then i thought, well, this wire I just took off is fairly new, it was just the splice that was bad. SO I reattach it, hook up the battery and dammit, practically melted the plastic right off the wire in about 2 seconds.

WHATS HAPPENING AND HOW DO I FIX IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

·
Opeler
18 Posts
It sounds like something is grounding out. I would trace that wire all the way to the dash and make sure it is ok. Than I would trace the wires that go to the amp guage since EVERYTHING runs on those wires. Are you blowing the fuses on the main wiring harness? if not then I suspect the ground to be before it gets to the rest of the harness.

This is just a start of course. electrical gremlins are tought to beat out.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. I yanked out my windshield last night, so it might make it easier if I just take out the whole dang dash. Eughhh!!! I hate taking my car apart. I hope i can get it back to gether again.

It makes me nervous!!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Thom, That fuseable link is what powers the entire electrical system on the GT from the battery. That wire goes to a stud on the fuse panel, then goes to the amp gage then back to another stud on the fuse panel to power the other buss bar. Somewhere you have a direct short. I don't think it is any of the fused circuits or a fuse would blow as soon as the wire was hooked up. You may have a grounded wire with bad insulation touching one of the 4 studs on the fuse panel or the main feed wire is shorted to ground. Another possibility is the alternator is grounded internally, the feed wire from it also goes to one of the studs on the buss bar.

I just noticed you're going to pull the dash, you don't have to do that, the instrument panel comes out fairly easy and you don't need to pull the dash for electrical access. HTH.

Ron

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron,

You said one thing that made me think. I have just recently put in a chevy S-10 Alternator. On my Opel alternator there were three specific connections to it. The plug with the three wires, the ground to the block and another wire that went to the fuse box. With the chevy alternator there wasnt a "stud" sticking out to connect this wire to. However, there was a male plug sticking out, so I clipped the wire, put a female end on it and plugged it into the alternator.

Could that be doing it?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
That is a good possibility, but, I don't know for sure. The altenator I got for my V-6 has a large stud to connect the alternator to the circuit, and a smaller male pin lug for the internal regulator sensing voltage, that will come from the lite in the amp meter. It is possible that you cooked the diode pack in the alternator, Disconnect the wire from the alternator and see if that cures the problem of smoking the fuseable link wire at the starter. Or you could take the alternator to a local auto parts store and have them check it out for you. HTH.

Ron

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, Ill give that a whirl tomorrow. (Im out of town on business) and I will post the results. It really has me curious and I need to get this resolved.

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts