Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
A fusible link doesn't care what brand of car it's used on. The key is to size it correctly.

I did a quick google and found the table on this page that shows how to size them:

Catalog

·
Senior Contributor
4,971 Posts
Can I use Nissan fusible links in the Opel? Mine near the starter has shorted out.
Shorted or open (burned)? There is really no such thing as a shorted fusible link unless you bypass it with a solid wire of a heavier gauge, and even then I don't think it would be considered shorted.

·
Senior Contributor
4,971 Posts
This looks like a good thread to ask this question:

What various conditions or screw ups would cause a fusible link to blow?

:thinking:
No different than any fuse or breaker.

·
Senior Contributor
1,515 Posts
This looks like a good thread to ask this question:

What various conditions or screw ups would cause a fusible link to blow?

:thinking:
Fusible links burn open when there a dead short to Ground.... Most times the fusible link burns open by the starter is usually when the Head Lighting circuit has a dead short to ground.. as there no fuse there to protect
Fusible link protects the fuse box from dead short to ground JMHO

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,300 Posts
I was asking partly for my own knowledge and partly to act as a guide for this fella.

As in, "Hey, I just bought an Opel and it's got a blown fusible link. Before I fix it and turn the key, I'm curious as to why it was blown in the first place? What things should I check?"

:veryhappy

Hmmmm.....headlights can blow the link. Dude, you need to check your headlight wiring right NOW. The wiring MUST be replaced from the radiator to the headlights due to a bad choice of wire used by Opel there. The insulation turned to dust after just 10-15 years causing the always live headlight wiring with no fuse to short out and set the car on fire or melt all the wiring. This is the first thing that all new GTers MUST verify!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts