Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here actually bought one of these? G-Tech claim it measures HP, "G" forces, and more . . . you know, fights crime, cures cancer & removes unwanted hair. Seems too good to be true for $140. Anybody have real-world experience with one of these gizmos?

·
Super Moderator
13,577 Posts
I bought one way back in 1995, I think when they first came out. Definitely has repeatable results, but setup can be a pain (getting it perfectly leveled, and inputting the exact correct weight of vehicle with fluids and driver weight). Comparing it to real-world dyno results, it seemed to be pretty close. An engine that dynoed at 139 hp showed 121 to the wheels with the G-tech.

The 0-60 and 0-100 results were pretty close, and very repeatable. The only thing that was off was the 1/4 mile times. It showed slower ET's and higher mph compared to my real results.

One neat feature was the lateral "peak" g-forces. I used to have a favorite on-ramp I loved taking my Ascona on. I hit a peak of .93 G's with snow tires! Also hit a peak of 1.31 G's on a road racing course with slicks. I used to LOVE strapping a passenger into my car and watching the G-forces break 1 G on DOT rubber, at 4 to 5 times the on-ramp speed limit. Ah, the ignorance of youth......

Bob

Reactions: opelnut_1

·
648 Posts
I've used one too. It belonged to a friend, and he had lost the directions that came with it, so it was all trial and error. I never figured out how to use the G or HP features, but did get it to work very well in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile modes.

I was able to get the Beast down to 4.9 sec 0-60 times. The Beast was an Austin Healey kit car (Sebring MX) with a warm 350 Chevy and weighed 2100#. I never drove it over 80--too scary.

James

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
????

What in the hell is a g-tech pro???

·
648 Posts
A G-Tech is simply an accelerometer(spelling?). You will see it for sale during the weekend TV car shows and in the car mags. It is about the size of a small radar detecter and sticks to the windshield with a suction cup. By measuring acceleration, it can convert it to 0-60 times, 1/4 mile and also do a HP calcalation, based upon the weight of the car. As Bob said in a prior post, it can also be used measure G-forces. What is this good for? How about before and after results when changing springs or going to stickier tires? What parts really do what they say? While not perfect, it works well enough to help in setting up a street car. Not bad for about $140!
James

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
oooo, that is cool!!!

Cooool.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Gtech

Does anyone have a "new" 2004 G-Tech Pro? I was going to spring the $300 bux for the RR model (the one that comes with software, cables etc)

I thought it might be fun (at least those local to Wa) to have a get-together this spring/summer and have a "Test your Opel's Performance" party.

I've yet to take mine to a real dyno shop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fun in WA

Hey count us in! We live near Seattle WA and have been working hard on our 72 GT since we got it from my uncle in May. We put on the complete urethane bushing kit, new springs front and rear, put in front and rear sway bars, stainless steel brake lines, moved the battery to the back in a sealed box. and put on a new exhaust. We are currently looking for some wheels and tires, then we are going to see what it can do at an autocross at the end of this month. I would love to see what kind of Gs it hold with a G-Tech.

Pete

·
789 Posts
N61WP said:
I've used one too. It belonged to a friend, and he had lost the directions that came with it, so it was all trial and error.
James

I can send you a photo copy of what I have. I bought one and used it a few times with my company car (4.6 Lincoln which showed 169 HP at rear wheels) just to see how it works. I am most interested in using it on a stock Opel then re-test as I modify components.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,220 Posts
Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, you can get an app for a smartphone that can perform all these functions and more, and even lay out a course using GPS. My brother used it at Thunderhill raceway, I'll have to ask him what app it was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts