Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of the lucky ones...I filled up this morning when gas was $2.47/gal. Driving home after work it was between $2.89 and $3.05/gal :eek: . That is a 25% increase in 8hr.

Boy would I love that type of increase in my salary in one day!! I would then be could get my Opel to be like I want!!

Baz, and you other folks not on this side of the pond are saying "Welcome to our world!!!". However, I think some of the biggest Oil Companies are actual on your side of the pond (BP, Shell). The reason your gas prices are so high on your side of the pond are the taxes that are charged by your Goverments not the price to the companies.

I sorry for venting but this is unducking belevable!! :mad:

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
with the taxes we are paying $7.46 for 95 ron gas(imperial gallon) at the moment, so you still have a way to go yet :p i think its about 76% tax here now on gas so thats only $1.79 without tax or $1.53 for a US gallon

·
1,711 Posts
Gas here in Duluth is 3.39 a gal. with long lines , but my family is dry &
safe . We have to remember our friends to the southwest of us :eek:

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Here in Charlotte, NC, I filled up Tuesday morning at $2.47 a gallon. By lunch, it was at $2.59. Then by the evening, at the same station, it had risen to $2.79. This morning, it was at $2.99! Now, I hear that the pipeline that brings the gas into the Carolinas has been knocked out by the hurricane. I have already seen some gas stations running out of gas, with others closing at 7 PM. Long lines have begun to appear at some stations as well! :mad:
About the only good news is the pipeline is supposed to be running again by the weekend. :eek:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Still available though .........

BP 98 "Super" petrol just went to $NZ1.55 a litre - but it is available and my High-compression Monza LOVES it. Drinks about an imperial gallon every 20 miles round town - but it is powerful and smooth. When petrol gets to the same price as beer I guess we can start worrying. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
GTJIM said:
When petrol gets to the same price as beer I guess we can start worrying. ;)
No worries mate, stay home and have a pint of beer instead...:)

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
jim dont get me started on beer its $16.50 a gallon :eek: in my local pub and the black stuff is $35 a gallon

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Baz!

You need to emigrate! Six cans of the "Black Stuff" costs $NZ13.50 in the SuperMarket here. Not many Opels though and some greedy B****ted has them all!

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Careful discussing gas prices...it'll quickly escalate into a political discussion and we all know what happens when it goes there! The rest of the world welcomes America to the international fuel market. Regardless of politics, it is FACT that oil companies are making record profits at the moment, and that will continue (especially the ones that got no-bid contracts to pump Iraqi oil out of the ground). Good for them I guess!

Still, I notice that there doesn't seem to be an outpouring of help and sympathy from the rest of the world toward this disaster as in others. And it's likely that just as many people died here as in 9/11. Certainly the economic cost is going to easily surpass it. Additionally, you won't see those record profits go toward helping these poor folks in the form of record tax dollars...instead it's our tax-based FEMA, strapped for cash and resources, and taking DAYS to get food, water, and basic necessities in place.

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
another thing that doesnt help, is the fact that most oil places in the south are closed because of the hurricane.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Out here in SoCal, the prices haven't gone up too much, less than $.25, at least today anyway. But there has been a run on gas. I noted there was no regular gas at the pumps on base, delivery difficulties they said. One thing that upsets me is, gas stations usually get gas once a week, so how do they justify raising the cost when they haven't gotten any in 4-5 days or less. There's a big move afoot to shove it to the gas companies by not buying gas tomorrow, the 1st of September. Don't know how it will come out, I've heard 4.6 billion dollars in revenue losses if it happens. Not bad for one days shopping. I said it earlier, the EPA has suspended all special blend requirements for the time being, OPEC has said it will increase production, and the Federal Strategic oil reserves will be opened to make up for the loss in crude from the gulf. I noted on the news a barrel of crude was down $.67 a barrel at the stock exchange, so maybe someone is taking notice and the price of gas will stabilize and gouging won't be too rampant. Water, ice, blankets, tarps, MREs, generators and troops are on the way to the gulf region and the Pres said it's just the beginning. Big, major problem, no highways to the area, they were washed away, so stuff will get there, it's just a matter of how and when, but it is on the way.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
$5-6 and up

http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?fe...50817-10042300-bc-us-gasprices-prediction.xml

Actually, the above link provides a very plausible scenario. Despite what the media tells you, gas prices do not climb higher just because of "market concerns over oil futures," or "supply chain disruptions," or similar babble.

The simple truth is that oil is the world's economy. And oil is traded in dollars (nations that want to deal in Euros beware!). If oil was not traded in dollars, the worthlessness of the U.S. paper money system (fiat) would be apparent to all. Americans offload their enormous federal debt to other countries to keep this illusion going. If we didn't, the resulting tax burden and inflation would cause people to march on Washington.

The price of gas HAS to go up. It's another form of taxation brought on by the Federal Reserve and the world financiers.

Also note that the U.S. hasn't built a new oil refinery in like over 30 years. In fact, we've lost HALF due to plant closings over the years. Does that make sense? It does if you need to increase demand.

For a better understanding, read this book online.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Paid 2.89 last night in Cumming with no wait at the pump.

Black stuff comes in pint 4 packs here. $6

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
PROPEL said:
Also note that the U.S. hasn't built a new oil refinery in like over 30 years. In fact, we've lost HALF due to plant closings over the years. Does that make sense? It does if you need to increase demand.
"They" say that refinery capacity is the weakest link. The storm just caused the chain to break. Poor planning on the refinery's part, but the consumers lose.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
jlthunder said:
"They" say that refinery capacity is the weakest link. The storm just caused the chain to break. Poor planning on the refinery's part, but the consumers lose.
Yes, that's what "they" say. But we'd lose our jobs for that kind of poor planning. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Your gas prices sound like a dream...

i just converted our litres to your gallons and eur to usd.

a gallon of gas (98 octane unleaded) where i live would cost you 5.4 USD
now consider a much lower living standard (avrage monthly paycheck - 650$) ;)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,406 Posts
Good news here in Wisconsin. Although gas prices have shot through the roof, beer prices appear to be stable so far! :D
Since you're not supposed to drink AND drive, I guess I'll be staying home and saving the gas supply for others.

1 - 20 of 399 Posts