Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opeler
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone has heard of a service that allows you to rent space in a garage with all the tools one would need to strip a car, do body work, weld, paint, and reassemble.

the more i look at my new opel acquisition the more i want to dismantle it, clean everything, and put it back together. i have never done anything automotive beyond replacing a header gasket.

i currently have no enclosed garage and have virtually no automotive tools.

tips would be welcome.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
I've tried working on cars that weren't at my house before and I just could never get it to work. Everytime I'd have a couple extra hours to go work on the car it just wasn't worth it and it didn't happen. I'd drive 20 minutes, get changed, work for an hour, get changed again and drive home. Some of tools/parts were with the car and others at my house, but never where they were needed. I'd suggest trying to find a way to work on it at your house. Good luck!

As for tools, I learned along time ago that I should put automotive tools and parts on my Christmas and Birthday lists and nothing else. Always refer back to the list when someone asks what you want. A good point to make is that you're going to need to buy the tools eventually. So it actually saves money to get the tools as gifts rather than get gifts AND still have to buy the tools. This past Christmas I received a jack from my Mom, an LSD and tubing notcher from my wife. Portable tool set for my Birthday. Titanium retainers, dual springs and valves the Christmas before.....and so on:)

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Here in Atlanta, (many moons ago) there used to be a few places aptly called "Grease Monkey" that would rent you either a bay, or a bay with a lift to do work on your car out of the weather with plenty of room, and you had to bring your own tools, but, they'd rent "specialized" tools. The only thing is, you had to be in and out in a day, and in special cases, over night.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,779 Posts
Many of the special tools can be rented up to and including sprayers, sandblasters, hoists, etc. Others are just too handy to not have (such as a right-angle die grinder and a small compressor 5hp-25 gal., nothing smaller!). Plus, if you learn about tools (what's good or bad, too small or too large) and check around, you can get some really good deals on used stuff. There is an industrial salvage place here in town that has a used tool room. I bought a Craftsman compressor (the above mentioned one) for $100. Spent $40 on a new piston and sleeve and it works just fine. Beats the heck out of $300 new (at the time). Flea markets are another source of 'affordable' tools. Just remember, if it looks beat to hell, it probably was.

Space is the real problem for you. One solution (if you are young and haven't started a career) is to get a job at a service station/auto repair shop/autobody shop. I don't know how many times I've seen the employees working on their own cars at night.

If you rent a garage from someone, make sure it has electric, doesn't leak, and you have about 6 feet all the way around the car. A secure door is a must also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts