Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas

Per the discussions we've had recently, when I filled up my GT for the first time yesterday I first added a bottle of lead substitute to the tank before adding premium gasoline. Before today Emmy would start right up - I really didn't even have to use to the choke. Today, it took some major coaxing to get her to go. Bad day, or could this be related to the additive?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would be interested in the answer to this as well since I am going to have to fill up my GT pretty soon and was planning to run the first bottle of lead substitute through her then. Maybe I'll hold off on it for a few days until the verdict is in.:)

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
how much didja add?

Only a teeny bit is needed - directions are on the bottle - most bottles come with a squeeze dispenser.

The amount of additive should not make a diff in cold start capabilities. Also, if you're running a low comp motor, you don't have to run premie - regular unleaded has a faster burn than premie, and may impact your cold-start capability in a positive way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummm... the directions said to add the whole bottle... It said for 9-20 gallons pour in the whole bottle prior to fueling. Its just a plastic spout bottle like any fuel additive bottle (like gum out er whatever).... Did I do something stupid???

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm thinking that what you really added was an octane booster with lead additive, not just the additive. Usually Octance booster uses the whole bottle while additive uses just a little.
I don't have to worry about this little problem since i got rid of my
'67 Chevelle, and the Opel has hardened seats installed. Definately a must do if you're going to any kind of head work done....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm.... it didn't say anthing about that. I have an extra bottle at home.. I'll look tonight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The bottle I've got says to add the whole thing too. And to quote the bottle: "If pinging and knocking still occurs after adding entire contents, continue adding more additive in small increments until pinging and knocking diminishes". To me, this sounds pretty excessive. It is "instead 'o lead" premium additive. Actually, I know it's not good for it, but I am running straight premium unleaded right now in my GT (hasn't run more than about 30 minutes total though)but I haven't had any pinging or knocking from it at all yet. Is it abnormal for it "not" to have a ping or knock on straight unleaded, or is it just something that "can" happen? I don't suppose there's any easy way to know whether or not it already has hardened seats installed without a complete teardown? That's one of the big problems with owning a 30+ year old car and not knowing it's mechanical history. :confused: I'd hate to tear down such a good running engine just to find out that it's already had the seats replaced. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mag 1

Ok, the bottle reads:

MAG 1
Lead Substitute (12 fl oz)
* prevents valve seat wear
* protects and lubricates
* safe-contains no lead

Back of the bottle:
Contains petroleum distillates. Does not contain alcohol.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Ethanol

You didn't, by any chance, get the 10% ethanol stuff did you? None of my Opels ever ran right on it back home, or the MTBE stuff out here either.

Give it another tank from a good gas station before you start worrying too much.

·
Registered
141 Posts
only ever ran one tank of 10% ethanol thru my GT - ran phunky on the blend. Throttle response was not as crisp, and the engine note 'changed'.

Kristi - there is no way to tell if you have seats sans a teardown. Best bet is to run it 'as-is', and deal with the problem if and when it arises.

It always helps to have the records of work done on the car. If a restorer is even half-serious, he keeps all of his/her receipts of work - makes appraisals/insurance settlements that much easier (assuming the worst). A documented resto adds value to the car, so keeping the records is important.

Maggie the Opel has all her records from Day One. the original owner paid $2600 for her, and traded in a '62 Chevy for $90. Her A/C went in ten days later at the local Firestone store - another $280. It's stuff like that which helps document the car.

The PO of Emmy probably handed over a big stack of receipts. If hardened seats were installed, they should be on one of the reciepts. Dunno when it was done, but most shops charged (this is a few years back, mind you) about $20/hole (there are eight) for seats. An obsessive owner would get all eight done - the average Joe would get four done (only the exhaust valves).

In a typical head rework, the valve guides are another $20/guide, valves go for about $10/ea, and a three-angle valve job is another $100. So... The whole bill for head work *should* be in the $300 range - more if there were problems.

Also hidden in that stack of bills *might* be a record showing about $300 (or more) for a set of pistons. If so, the PO might have upgraded to hi-comp flat-top pistons - this would explain the pinging.

Going thru the bill stack is neat. It's a history of what went in the car - can tell you a LOT about 'what's in there'. Betcha Stanley P's bill stack is over 3" by now!

·
257 Posts
3" to 4" will cover my stack of bills on my car and a photo log of over 100 photos.......you never know when you may need some quick cash.........

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ummmm... reciepts? Ah no. None that I've found. There is a log book that various owners have made entries in ever since the very first tank of gas the car got. However after the original meticulous owner, I have no idea how well it was kept up. I'll look through the box of parts he gave me... maybe there are some records buried in there...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts