Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Opeler
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola' folks, I was able to get a gas cap (in really nice condition) through ebay a week or so ago, and included in it was a set of keys supposedly for the cap.

Now since my old gas cap did not lock as it was hosed, and my GT is in the shop right now having the suspension done, I cannot put it on the car. So...

Of course the first thing I did was insert the keys to make sure that it works, but it does not turn! Does the cap need to be ON and locked to the tank before the key will turn and release the gas cap?

I need to know before I go ape on the guy who sold it to me and claimed that the cap and keys worked. Thanks folks

Paulie

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
it should lock and unlock off the car if you hold the center stationary. For that price I'd go off. I'll check mine today but from memory that is it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
nobody said:
it should lock and unlock off the car if you hold the center stationary. For that price I'd go off. I'll check mine today but from memory that is it.
It does lock and unlock off of the car- just checked it
Holding the center stationary with the key in. Turn the key till the whole cap spins- this is the LOCKED position
Turn the key in the cap and spin until it hits the internal stop. Now the whole cap will not spin- this is the UNLOCKED position.
On the GT when the cap is properly positioned and locked- it will only spin on the filler tube and won't come off
In the unlocked position the cap will not spin and will turn to match up with the release groves on the filler tube and is removed for easy filling.
Just remember that the cap must be in the UNLOCKED position when you first put it on the car then turn the key to the LOCKED position. I alway check mine after re-filling just to make sure- too many kids in the neighborhood who would like a souvenir. :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Okay I just got a Opel GT and was wondering if the key from the ignition would be the one that would unlock the cap. From the sounds of things looks like I have a lockable gas cap with out the keys. Is that correct?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I just talked to a lock smith and he said that he might be able to make a key for around 40.00. Paulie what did yours cost? Should I try and buy a new one?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
ParkerVH28 said:
Okay I just got a Opel GT and was wondering if the key from the ignition would be the one that would unlock the cap. From the sounds of things looks like I have a lockable gas cap with out the keys. Is that correct?
I am not sure if the ignition key will work on the gas cap- when new they probably did but with so many parts being changed and inter-changed today, I doubt it.
NOOOO!!!!! You definetly need a key to lock and unlock the gas cap- If you are lucky the ignition key may work or the gas cap isn't in the locked position so that you can filler up . If unlucky (doubt it- you bought an Opel didn't you?) you might have to search the forum for the remedy- just was a thread about this same subject last week :cool:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
ParkerVH28 said:
Well I just talked to a lock smith and he said that he might be able to make a key for around 40.00. Paulie what did yours cost? Should I try and buy a new one?
Most locksmiths charge around $25 :cool:

·
328 Posts
gas cap

The gas cap key is different from the ignition. I just had 2 gas caps rekeyed with the locksmiths blanks for $8 ea at the local farmers market on a sunday!! Keep checking the local locksmiths so you dont get ripped off.Btw, he had them both completed in under an hour.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
No, the ignition key and gas cap key are two different keys and they are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you, I will not screw it up by trying the ignition key. And I will keep checking the locksmith maket. This is Wyoming, but it sounds like I shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg. Thanks guys. Man I can see how this site is going to really help me out. Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
ParkerVH28 said:
Thank you, I will not screw it up by trying the ignition key. And I will keep checking the locksmith maket. This is Wyoming, but it sounds like I shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg. Thanks guys. Man I can see how this site is going to really help me out. Thank you again.
Your very welcome- thats what the site is for. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money cheerfully refunded. Speaking of money- donations to the site are also cheerfully accepted :cool:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
You can use a gas cap key in the ignition and doors but you can't use an ignition key in the gas cap. My GT uses 1 key for all 3.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
nobody said:
You can use a gas cap key in the ignition and doors but you can't use an ignition key in the gas cap. My GT uses 1 key for all 3.
Ok, here comes the dumb question. How? Did you change out the tumblers in the gas cap? Jarrell

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I rekeyed the door handles and ignition to match the gas cap key. I was bored and felt like a challenge. I do like it alot tho.

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
Well, I must disagree, I re-keyed one of my gas caps to match the ignition key and it works perfectly.

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
BTW - you have to do the full gas cap disassembly routine including heating the base with a torch and melting the plastic ring etc. etc. - do a search for gas cap repair and you will find all sorts of good stuff. If you have a really nice cap it is better to have a key made for it. Rooster - did you buy the one from the guy in Jersey and if so how much?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I know drill melt find a new one and then change the lock cylinder type for a different one depending on year. Pull 3 cylinders and move a few tumbers seemed way easier.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
markandson said:
Well, I must disagree, I re-keyed one of my gas caps to match the ignition key and it works perfectly.
mark what kind of keys does yours have as mine are 2 different profiles and dont even go in the holes of each other , see pic btw sorry i just noticed you are called jeff ;)

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
I had two gas caps that I took apart at the same time, one was a donor, I just mixed and matched the lock parts until the key almost worked and then I filed down the ones that were a little bit to high. Result - you can't tell the difference between the one I fixed and the ones that I bought with keys. The bonus was only needing one key for the whole car. I intend to use it as my "daily driver" cap and then when I go to shows put on the NOS one.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
When I got my GT in 1977, the gas cap key had been lost, but it was in the "unlocked" position. It was quite easy (and this was before the days of Internet-sourced gas cap re-keying instructions) to remove the centre tumbler, and grind the pins so it worked with the ignition key. I didn't melt any rings or otherwise destroy the cap. Now, do I remember WHAT I did? No, that was 20 years ago. The "style" of key (i.e the grooves) are the same, just the "cut" is different. Any decent locksmith (even a half-decent Engineer!) should be able to re-key the gas cap to fit the ignition key.

JM2CW

1 - 20 of 40 Posts