Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me get the gas cap off a 69 gt?
i have the keys and can lock the cap so it wont turn
and turn the key so the cap will rotate but i cant remove the cap from the filler neck in eigther position this is an x mas present and i just installed a new engine but cant start it because i cant put any fuel in the tank

please help me thanks AARON

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
If the cap works, like it's suppose to, then the only thing is either the neck is spinning, or the neck is positioned wrong and you don't have the release slots lining up.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If it spins 360 degrees then it is locked. Turn the key so it won't spin and then turn it hard till it lines up with the release grooves on the filler neck. If the fille neck is turning then you will have to get into the spare tire area, remove everything and tighten down the clamp on the neck. Good luck :)

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Yep, like Tom has said, this is one of the idiosyncrasies of an Opel GT. When the cap is "locked", it just spins and spins and spins, but won't release. Well, the OUTER part of the cap spins, but the inner part stays locked onto the filler neck. When it is UNLOCKED, the outer part and inner part are locked together, so when you rotate the outer part counter-clockwise, the inner part releases from the neck, just like a regular gas cap.
HTH

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
nifty, never had a working gas cap, and never imagined thats how they locked and unlocked.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
on the lighter side
i once had a girl stand for 10 min turning the cap as i had said it was a winder for the clockwork starter and as she wanted a ride in the gt she had to wind it up :):)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts