Opel GT Forum banner
141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Andy Kessler writes a weekly column in the Wall Street Journal and today's piece takes after the Newsome Administration and its handling of the gasoline situation. He is also critical of the Administration's handling of California's water shortage, but that is irrelevant to this thread. But Kessler quotes the Western States Petroleum Association statement that in California, the price of a gallon of gas includes $1.27 for taxes and regulatory programs. That is the start. California sits on the fifth-largest oil reserve among the fifty states, so we would expect it to have relatively cheaper gasoline. But instead it ranks as the most expensive. The governor has proposed his solution that apparently will be voted on in the legislature this week -- he wants to mail every driver a $400 "gas tax rebate" debit card. Owners of electric vehicles will also get a $400 card, even though they do not pay gasoline taxes because....well, you know why. Adding to the absurdity, electric vehicle owners in California already get a one-third reduction in their electric bills from the California Home Charging EV2-A electricity rate.
Commifornia is often a perfect example of how not to run a state. It's a financially toxic place to live if you're not making really good money. But even rich people are starting to question why they are living in Cali. Elon Musk, like him or hate him, eventually moved to Texas because of how Cali is with taxes.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Chevron and Shell are at 4.99/9 now in Olympia WA.

In 90 I bought a new Ford Ranger right before moving from Phoenix to LA for work. To get it registered CA DMV made me drive 50 miles to a weigh station to get it weighed even though the weight was on the door sticker. Then they charged me an extra $600 because it wasn’t CA compliant with emissions. Funny enough, a few years later I got a refund check, with interest, from CA because they weren’t allowed to charge that fee.

After the Rodney King riots we moved to OR to get out of CA. Then we moved out of OR to WA. The nuttiness follows. I’d be out of here but my wife needs to stay five more years to get her pension.

At least we live far away from downtown in the boonies.

·
Über Genius
9,725 Posts
It never surprises me that the second you see crude go up, the price at the pump does as well. But a reduction in crude takes MONTHS or never to see it at the pump.

Look at the percentages. Crude goes up 15% and gasoline goes up 60%.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It never surprises me that the second you see crude go up, the price at the pump does as well. But a reduction in crude takes MONTHS or never to see it at the pump.

Look at the percentages. Crude goes up 15% and gasoline goes up 60%.
Rockets and Feathers....

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Had to buy some ethanol-free 91octane fuel today for my various gas-powered landscaping machines.

$5.09 per gallon!

Also noticed today that diesel is crazy, about $6.40 per gallon here. Ugh.

Glad I’m mostly at home these days and have the motorcycle to run out with for errands.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Regular unleaded here in WA is about 5.15 at name brand stations. Costco is about 60 cents less so that’s the go to place.

·
Über Genius
9,725 Posts
Diesel shouldn't ever be that high.
I'm convinced that the big oil companies price diesel higher than regular based on MPG. Diesel cars typically get a percentage higher fuel mileage and that percentage is ridiculously similar to the difference in fuel prices.

·
Opeler
1,599 Posts
Diesel shouldn't ever be that high.
I'm convinced that the big oil companies price diesel higher than regular based on MPG. Diesel cars typically get a percentage higher fuel mileage and that percentage is ridiculously similar to the difference in fuel prices.
Diesel ought to sell for more than gasoline because it contains nearly a 20 % premium in BTU/Gal. over gasoline. Other factors go into the pricing I'm sure (supply and demand, location, etc), but day in and day out, it is energy density that you are paying for.

·
Vendor
3,314 Posts
Diesel ought to sell for more than gasoline because it contains nearly a 20 % premium in BTU/Gal. over gasoline. Other factors go into the pricing I'm sure (supply and demand, location, etc), but day in and day out, it is energy density that you are paying for.
Yes, I understand that argument, but on a cost of production basis, diesel fuel is cheaper since it is less refined and more is produced from a barrel of crude than gasoline. I remember back in the early1990's when I had a VW rabbit diesel, the price of diesel was a bit cheaper than 87 unleaded gas. I think taxes and increased demand largely account for the big divergence in the price of gas vs diesel recently.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Gas is now ranging from 4.09 to 4.19 with diesel at 5.99. My neighbor is planting crops, fielding 4 to 5, 100 plus hp tractors going through 55 gal/ tractor/ per day, fueling out of a 1000 gal storage tank. I can only imagine, and cringe. I have a 500 gal tank and 2 tractors to fuel and I'm sweating it.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Unregulated diesel sulfur levels used to be up to 5000 ppm, in 93 regulations were lowered to 500 ppm in 2000, and down to 15 ppm in 2006. Low sulfur feedstocks are dwindling which requires more refining, and ultra low diesel refining capacity is somewhat limited and extremely expensive to build. I’m not sure if off road diesel is still unregulated, if so it should be cheaper unless suppliers are gouging.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,524 Posts
Wow, I didn’t realize that ethanol free gas was priced that much higher than the ethanol stuff. Nice that you have a choice though.
Yeah, but you burn all that diesel to grow the corn to make ethanol to put in unleaded....it just sounds weird.

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
59 Posts
While higher gas prices sucks for your wallet, it's good for innovation. It pushes car makers to find ways to reduce fuel consumption. The future on that front is already happening but EV range anxiety is a very real problem. Higher gas prices just adds economic pressure on top of political pressure for improving battery technology, recharge time, and making EV's affordable. I know, EV's aren't exactly dream car material but they can be very luxurious daily drivers. If I could afford a Rivian R1S right now, I'd buy it.
If you want to sell EVs the best incentive is high gas prices. Just sayin'.

141 - 160 of 175 Posts