Opel GT Forum banner
161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
If you want to sell EVs the best incentive is high gas prices. Just sayin'.
This is what my dad says. I have seen a lot of mustang Mach E’s lately. I would still rather have a gas powered car.

·
1,908 Posts
Been doing some things with the Opel GT the last couple of days. Took it to lunch today, stopped on the way home for gas. 10 Gal of 93 octane about $54. Not sure whether to laugh or cuss.

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Had to take a trip into Massachusetts today. I decided to take my Kawasaki KLR650 instead of my Nissan Frontier.

I used 1.43 gallons @ $5.09 per gallon to travel 79 miles.

If I took my truck it would have been about 4.45 gallons used @ $4.49 per gallon.

Guess I’ll be riding my bike a lot more this summer!

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
14 Posts
$90 for half tank in my 20 GMC Harley-Davidson truck, burns premium, over $20 for a full tank on my 20 SE CVO Street Glide, burns premium, $45 for full tank for my GT, burns regular. Thus the reason why I bought this car and I have owned three others and was wanting another. A driving restoration, interior needs to done.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
We went up 20 cents since Monday to 4.59, Diesel 5.49. News is reporting people back to siphoning gas like the 70s. I'm sorta waiting for gas lines again. No where near what Commodaren is paying though.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yeah, but you burn all that diesel to grow the corn to make ethanol to put in unleaded....it just sounds weird.
And, as I have pointed out earlier, in order for the process to be efficient, you require that state-of-the-art practices be employed from start to finish, from the guy that puts the seed into the ground to the distillery that boils the mash to the oil refinery that mixes it.

Another salient point is that if you have a barrel of oil, you can make either diesel or gasoline -- you cannot make both, as each has chemical properties of the other.

·
Super Moderator
6,180 Posts
Another salient point is that if you have a barrel of oil, you can make either diesel or gasoline -- you cannot make both, as each has chemical properties of the other.
Umm, well, this Petroleum Engineer of 39 years has extensive experience with the "upstream" (from the underground reservoirs, thru the producing well bores, the gathering pipelines, compressing, pumping, cleaning and dehydrating and the pipelines and trucks to the refineries) side of the petroleum industry.

However, I have enough knowledge of the chemistry of petroleum to know that this statement is not accurate. A single barrel (42 US gallons) can and does indeed yield both gasoline and diesel, and other stuff as well.

There are many different types and grades of crude oil, with varying distillation yields of refinery products. And most refineries have the ability to alter the chemical composition of petroleum, by exotic processes such as thermal and catalytic cracking. There are many sources of information relating to refinery. But here is a reasonable summary:

About 45 percent of a typical barrel of crude oil is refined into gasoline. An additional 29 percent is refined to diesel fuel. The remaining oil is used to make plastics and other products.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Umm, well, this Petroleum Engineer of 39 years has extensive experience with the "upstream" (from the underground reservoirs, thru the producing well bores, the gathering pipelines, compressing, pumping, cleaning and dehydrating and the pipelines and trucks to the refineries) side of the petroleum industry.

However, I have enough knowledge of the chemistry of petroleum to know that this statement is not accurate. A single barrel (42 US gallons) can and does indeed yield both gasoline and diesel, and other stuff as well.

There are many different types and grades of crude oil, with varying distillation yields of refinery products. And most refineries have the ability to alter the chemical composition of petroleum, by exotic processes such as thermal and catalytic cracking. There are many sources of information relating to refinery. But here is a reasonable summary:

About 45 percent of a typical barrel of crude oil is refined into gasoline. An additional 29 percent is refined to diesel fuel. The remaining oil is used to make plastics and other products.
Well I stand corrected. I was going back to my days with Texaco almost fifty years ago when it was pointed out that a barrel of crude would yield gasoline or diesel plus a few other byproducts. Thanks for the info

·
Opeler
1,599 Posts

You are correct Keith! If anyone is interested in digging a little deeper into refining and seeing how fuel yields from a barrel of oil have increased/changed due to better refining methods since its inception, here is an interesting primer on the topic.
petroleum-refining

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 · (Edited)
My problem is when I run out of Diesel Fuel, at todays prices, (5.49), 2700.00 for a 500 gal tank. What's wrong with this picture? I am not a large farmer either. I refill the tank 2 times per year. Gas is 4.45

161 - 175 of 175 Posts