Opel GT Forum banner

Gas Prices in your area

15K views 208 replies 44 participants last post by  MattsAwesomeStuff 
#1 ·
In the central piedmont of North Carolina, we are averaging 3.57 for regular, (87 Octane) gas. What is it in your area?

#7 ·
Now that I’m working in my shop and not traveling much I don’t gas up a lot. Today I topped up my tank and was admittedly surprised at the price hike over the past week.

This is southwestern New Hampshire.
Sky Light Snow Plant Gas

#9 ·
#11 ·
Americans like to complain about the price of gas but we have it dirt cheap compared to most developed countries. I believe the price of gas should be somewhere close to where it is right now, for oil companies to see a good reason to expand their R&D into new areas. That investment fuels our economy in many ways. Of all things to complain about being too expensive in the US, gas honestly isn’t one of them.

#14 ·
Here's another interesting way to view the data. Adjusting for inflation, the cost of a gallon of gasoline in the US has been remarkably stable (even declining a wee bit) Unfortunately, this chart doesn't capture 2021-2022, but I'm guessing that the trend is pretty consistent. In inflation adjusted dollars, the price of gas hasn't moved much more than ~$0.25/gal since the 1970s.

Gasoline Prices Adjusted for Inflation | US Inflation Calculator

#37 ·
Here's another interesting way to view the data. Adjusting for inflation, the cost of a gallon of gasoline in the US has been remarkably stable (even declining a wee bit) Unfortunately, this chart doesn't capture 2021-2022, but I'm guessing that the trend is pretty consistent. In inflation adjusted dollars, the price of gas hasn't moved much more than ~$0.25/gal since the 1970s.

Gasoline Prices Adjusted for Inflation | US Inflation Calculator
Interesting chart, but one factor to keep in mind is that our economy is essentially driven by oil. That is, the price of oil effectively is the driver of inflation. I was working for Texaco in the D.C. area in the early 1970s when the first Arab oil embargo hit. It was astonishing how prices for a wide variety of items soared, until we realized that oil was an integral part of the ingredients or manufacturing process.

It has been less than two years, but does anyone remember May of 2020 when the economy was shut down because of Covid-19 and the spot price of a barrel of oil went negative, when producers were paying people to take the product off their hands? We were also net exporters of energy then, and, now, two years later, we become net importers. It is a strange world we live in...

#15 · (Edited)
Both of my daily drivers need premium and it is $3.40 for Top-Tier Premium 93 at Costco in Houston. Not too alarming as I paid nearly $5.00 for it a number of years ago. We've seen three dollar gas prices and worse for the past 20+ years. Although it fluctuates over time, in real terms, the cost of gas hasn't changed all that much.

On my last driving tour in Europe in 2008 I consistently paid $9-10 per gallon for premium there, so while it is high now, it is not historically high even fifteen years later. Gas prices fluctuate with supply and economic activity (and Ukrainian invasions).

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
I haven't been paying attention to gas prices. Maybe I should.
According to GasBuddy, the station I get my gas from is $3.97 for regular.

The good thing is I don't need gas. For whatever reason, I've had a ton of gas for the last month.

Joking aside, I might spend more time on the motorcycle this year.

#31 ·
May even look at swapping Pontiac G 8 for something more fuel efficient.
From house to work is a 5 min drive for me. Because that’s too short of a timespan for an engine to heat up, I wanted to get a plug in hybrid. Besides saving gas whenever I want to, I can reduce wear and tear on the engine. I can go roughly 20 miles on a charge and can go 400 miles on a tank of gas. I bought a 2017 Fusion Energi Titanium right as the pandemic started, for a really good deal. Then the used car market went nuts a couple months later. I wouldn’t call it an exciting car, but it’s a really nice daily driver. The fuel tank is like 12 gallons, so it doesn’t take a lot to fill up and that can last around town about as long as I want it to.

#32 ·
Some of you guys are spoiled! I do 64 miles a day commuting to and from work.
2008 Mustang Gt gets about 20mpg. 1990 Safari van gets around 16-18.

Sounds terrible at 320 miles per week. But....I also don't have a car payment.

#33 ·
Some of you guys are spoiled! I do 64 miles a day commuting to and from work.
2008 Mustang Gt gets about 20mpg. 1990 Safari van gets around 16-18.

Sounds terrible at 320 miles per week. But....I also don't have a car payment.
My commute was @30 miles each way for around 20 years. That ended 4 years ago.
When gas prices went high, early on, I drove my Opel GT a lot. When gas prices were reasonable, I drove the Mustang.
About 10 years ago gas prices went high and I bought a motorcycle again. I was riding it even at below freezing temps. It made a HUGE difference financially. That bike, even though it was 1100cc would get 40-50mpg. The savings paid for the bike a few times over. (I buy fixer bikes so they're cheap).
I'm not as tough as I was 25 years ago so if it's below 50 I don't want to ride.