Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many baffles are in a stock GT gas tank (is it just one?) i'll need to sandblast inside of tank seeing as how the rust problem was worse than i thought and the metal ready from POR 15 just couldn't handle that large of an amount need to know so I know how many holes to cut and reweld...
Thanks, RITTER :(

·
257 Posts
Gas tanks

I went thru the same problem with my gas tank.
I believe the 69 models had only one and the 70 to 73
had two (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
I have a really good gas tank off a 1970 GT I would
be willing to sell for $50 plus shipping costs.
All it needs is a good cleaning. No rust
or holes....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the Offer Stanley,
I may be interested in the used tank, we'll see what happens when I blast this one, may find more holes. On another interesting note this tank has only one baffle probably just a leftover tank from the previous years production line. I shall find out though... if I need the tank i'll be sure to drop you a line.
O h and if anyone is interested i just used dry ice in my tank before using a holesaw to make a new opening in the tank for sandblasting purposes (did it at home in the garage) . Worked great no fires or ugly explosions...Didn't think it was intirely necessary, after the degreasing and etching solvents but .....safety first!!! :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well The tank is now sand blasted, had to go to my friends shop and borrow his 4.5 inch hole saw to open up the two holes a little more. Worked better this time now i just need to reetch the inside and we'll see if the POR 15 sealer will work on the 27 pin holes I have found in the bottom of the tank now.Holy S#!* I can't believe this thing didn't cause one heck of a fire or worse!:( lucky enough though the spot welds for the baffle were in no trouble of rusting through. The rust just stuck to tearing up the bottom of the tank, where condensation built up over the few years the car sat. Well On second thought while i am typing this i believe i'll just use a steel rod and gas weld in the holes then etch and seal the tank just don't want to take chances anymore on that. If i get my head out of my... I'll try to remember to install my Digi Camera software and card reader this weekend sometime so i can post some pics of this stuff incase some of you are interested in what the inside of the fuel tank looks like.
Ritter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts