Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good way to clean a gas tank (with out removing from Car) . What do you think of flushing the tank with water from the hose and letting it drain from the outlet on the bottom of the tank? or should I spent the $$ and flush with gas? or ???

Thoughts n Ideas as to a reasonably inexpensive way to clean tank in car

·
Can Opeler
3,752 Posts
What is a good way to clean a gas tank (with out removing from Car) . What do you think of flushing the tank with water from the hose and letting it drain from the outlet on the bottom of the tank? or should I spent the $$ and flush with gas? or ???

Thoughts n Ideas as to a reasonably inexpensive way to clean tank in car
I’ve flushed a tank with water several times with no issues. The only caveat is to dry it very well with compressed air, and I’d still put a full tank of gas through it to drain out any remaining water.

Keep in mind all the water will sink to the bottom so you won’t need to drain more than a about a gallon of that full tank you add.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,866 Posts
Why would you want to clean it in a half-azz way? In the car is an absolutely pointless way to do it.

I suggest doing it properly by removing it, giving it a good inspection, then a good cleaning with rocks and nuts and bolts and solvent. You hang an old sheet or blanket from a tree branch or rafter to form a sling and put the tank in it. This then lets you tumble and flip and shake the tank to dislodge the funk inside. I suggest lining it and removing the sock. I've used Kreem and the POR15 kit with excellent results.

·
Super Moderator
14,282 Posts
Easy.

Just put the tank cleaner in the car, shake the car around a bit, and then turn the car upside down to dump out the cleaner.

Duh.

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would you want to clean it in a half-azz way? In the car is an absolutely pointless way to do it.

I suggest doing it properly by removing it, giving it a good inspection, then a good cleaning with rocks and nuts and bolts and solvent. You hang an old sheet or blanket from a tree branch or rafter to form a sling and put the tank in it. This then lets you tumble and flip and shake the tank to dislodge the funk inside. I suggest lining it and removing the sock. I've used Kreem and the POR15 kit with excellent results.
Thanks!!

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing in that tank, gas varnish, asphaltines or rust, is water-soluble, so a water flush is essentially a waste of time!

and what would do the trick Chemicaly?

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Easy.

Just put the tank cleaner in the car, shake the car around a bit, and then turn the car upside down to dump out the cleaner.

Duh.
LOL why turn car upside down? wont tank cleaner drain out hole in bottom of tank? LOL

Reactions: soybean

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,866 Posts
The Kreem kit has a bottle of solvent stuff and the POR15 kit, made by U.S.Tank, uses their Marine Clean solvent and rust dissolver.

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Kreem kit has a bottle of solvent stuff and the POR15 kit, made by U.S.Tank, uses their Marine Clean solvent and rust dissolver.
Thats much for help full then the last one
why not have just started with this post,

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Aww they are just pulling your chain. Besides, It's Sat night, nothing else to do. ;) Use the creme Kit by POR.I used it and it works very well. You do have to pull the tank to do it. I cleaned mine by hand. Check out the tank cleaner Terri W and Manta Rallier made. Maybe they will chime in with some tips. Theirs worked better and were a lot less effortful. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,880 Posts
To properly inspect, clean, and seal the gas tank, you will have to remove it. Doing this half azzed by leaving the tank in the car is not the way to go about this task. Probably every gas tank in a GT needs some serious attention by this point. You don't want the gas tank rusting out and we've seen some really bad gas tanks. Remember, that gas tank is inside the car with you. This is a safety issue as much as it is a preventative maintenance issue. You need to make sure that 50 year old gas tank is fit for service. Do this job the right way the first time, or wait till OGTS starts selling new gas tanks and just install a new one. Supposedly that should happen in the near future.

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tanks has very little rust (inspected with Bore scope) just a mild amount of what I would guess to be old Gas. So the repeated "half azzed" comments dont apply.

Not looking to attack and clean "RUST" just varnish and buildup of old Gas/debris

Guess a better title would have been what dissolves varnish (old gas....)

Thanks

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
best answer yet!!! thats the answer type I was looking for.

THANK YOU LYNNB!!!

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
Stop and think a bit: What will acetone do to the float and to the fill hose and other hoses? Makes sense to me if it is all dissassembled but not all together in the car.

·
Opelnut
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stop and think a bit: What will acetone do to the float and to the fill hose and other hoses? Makes sense to me if it is all dissassembled but not all together in the car.
I don't think a flush with acetone will cause any noticeable damage. I am not planning to soak with a full tanks of the stuff for days. just rinse out a couple times

and float if damaged can be changed easly with out removing tank. IF TANK WAS OUT OF CAR it would get a different approach

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,880 Posts
If you have a lot of gunk built up in the gas tank, rinsing it won't do enough I'm thinking. Your exit is roughly a 1/4 inch opening. It doesn't take a lot to plug that. If you have a bore scope, post pics of what you are dealing with. How much gunk are you dealing with? Acetone doesn't clean things very well just by rinsing. It will evaporate rather quickly. Acetone is really good when you can scrub with it or soak something in it. I don't know of any product that will remove varnish just with a quick rinse. Soak, scrub, or pressure wash is what is needed.

This is a product you add to your fuel and it's meant to help dissolve sludge from a gas tank. It might work over time, soaking the gunk to break it down. All I did was search fuel tank cleaner in Google and this stuff popped up.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
That’s what I’d do on a runner if I didn’t want to pull the tank. Add Techron to the tank, use clear fuel filters, and keep changing them regularly until the filters stop capturing dirt. It would be a good idea to have the filter easily accessible and carry a few spares and tools to change them in case it needs changing on the road.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,866 Posts
Or don't worry about it. If it's so resistant to dissolving that a tank of gas won't dissipate it over time, then it's not causing a problem and you can just leave it alone.

Now, varnish at the bottom of your fuel sender unit CAN cause the sender unit to stick in the empty or close to it position. I have seen quite a few that were gummed up with varnish and were stuck.

But why do any of this tank or sending unit cleaning if it's not causing a problem? Do you deflate your tires once a year to get rid of the old air? Or flush your differential or gear box on a regular basis?

Opelnut said:

<<< (The) tank has very little rust (inspected with Bore scope), just a mild amount of what I would guess to be old Gas. Not looking to attack and clean "RUST" just varnish and buildup of old Gas/debris. >>>

Gordo says:

<<< If it ain't broke, don't fix it. >>>

😀

1 - 20 of 26 Posts