Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have acquired my fathers 73 GT, he bought new ... it has 19K miles on it ... but in trying to get it run, my mechanic found the gas tank was leaking & full of sludge. Where can I find another or the specs to have one made, say out of Alumium? Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
Have a look around this Forum. A few members have had success with minor pitting by taking the tank out to a radiator shop and having them steam and chemical clean the inside, and then coating it internally with one of the commercial gas tank coatings (Eastwood, I believe, and maybe POR). Make sure that the inner filter sock is removed (don't replace it, just use a clear in-line filter in the gas line below the tank). Used tanks are also available, from either an Opel vendor (try David Ponder at http://www.opeljunkyard.com/) or from a member on the list (just ask, and I bet you will get five responses).

There really isn't a commercially available replacement tank. A few folks in the Racing community have installed after-market (or even custom built) fuel cells, but they are big $ and not really suited for the street

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Um to ship a used gas tank is a federal offence. I know it's been done but just be aware of the legallities involved.

·
199 Posts
I hate to disagree with nobody, that sounds weird doesn't it :) , but you can ship a used fuel tank provided it is packaged, labeled, certified, and shipped in accordance with CFR 49. All sorts of hazardous material is shipped worldwide daily by various means, you just have to follow the rules. A fuel tank that has been cleaned and purged is just a big tin can. your local Post Office or UPS outlet may have a problem with it but a real freight company that routinely handles hazardous cargo shouldn't give you any grief.

hth
Brian

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I was just warning of the legalities involved as it is classed as a hazard. Boiled down and completely clean you could claim it as a water tank and go from there. You mention an open flammable to a shipping company and they get a bit testy is all.

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,551 Posts
Would'nt the cheapest way to go really be just to have the original cleaned and coated??? Beats all the hassles of shipping another, and not knowing if a different one had the same problems?? That way you would end up with a basically brand new tank that would pop right back in.
At least thats my take on the whole thing.

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
Your right that prolly would be the best way to go. But when I wanted to have that done to mine they couldnt even get everything out of the tank, so I had to pay them plus get a new tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.