Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Opeler
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
not sure where to post.
hurricane missed us--not even rain.
thats good news
bad news--oil refineries damaged-one might could be repaired.
heard rumor this am that they are going to shutdown plants in lake charles--this is about 150mile west of damage.WHY?my best guess--this is the chance to move away from the liberal/ecolligy nuts that make doing bussines in this country almost impossible.
i think the days of the gulf coast(mainly lousiana)supplying affordable gas to this country have come to an end.
lousiana has sacrificed itself to do this(supply gas)and when our politicians tryed to stand up for us they are crucified and picked on.Gov Edwards stood up and wouldnt back down--now in fed pen for his efforts.yes he stole like all politcans but was good for lousiana and gas--his only mistake was pissing off the feds.
i hate to say it but $5.00 to $10.00 a gallon gas is just around the corner.
stocking up will drive prices up--they will not come down.
we already have stations running out of gas--some will not be resuplied.
most of this is based on rumors from reliable sources.who realy knows.
also--the huge ghetto in new orleans is destroyed(the whole city is)where are these parasites on society going to go?with our governments help they will start showing up in all our neighborhoods.crime will realy run rampant in our country then.
ohwhell dats life
disgruntled David

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
think of it as a golden opportunity to get the muscle car you always wanted cheap
give it a month and they will be begging folks to come take them away :D

· 101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,328 Posts
Supertiga,
Give this disaster some time to clear and the land time to heal itself. These things do cause hardships and anger to rise over the top within us, but remember that the storm started as a tropical wave that met certain conditions of nature and evolved into what we know today as KATRINA. No one man or group caused this.

· Opeler
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was going to edit the first post as some of it is strong--after reading it--cant do it--its ugly but true.i dont know if this one is any better.

we will pull through in some fasion--we survived camille-she broke the weather station speed indicator at approx 212mph-gust over 230-on shore--27ft storm surge-waves ontop of that up to 37ft--katrina was only 22ft although the natl news media is exagerating it to 32ft.(why do they lie).
I went to military school in gulfport in 1969.one of the other students dad worked at the kesler air base weather station-this is the station that recorded 212mph sustained winds before it failed.my own eyes saw the aftermath.where katrina left piles of debri and damaged structures camille left nothing but slabs for miles around the school.amazingly the school was almost undamaged and we started class almost on time.

the bigest problem from katrina is that for our entire lives and then some our government has taken our $$ under the pretense of helping the poor--all they
have done is breed more poor.they get a raise(more welfare ect)every time they have a baby--the working class can not aford babies.where will this led?they recive more ssi welfare ect than our retired people by atleast 2X.
from what i understand the ghetto of new orleans is the bigest and oldest in usa.the looting on tv that we see is what these people do every day when no one is looking.if you are starving why take tv sets?it its their way of life.with new orleans out of comission for possibly years what is this going to do to our country and society?these people will have to be moved somewhere--with our tax dollars of course.

bottom line--compasion--the entire gulf coast needs help--anyone that can help find a way to send food-clothes-tooth past-soap- towels-anything.
i am well north and west of damage and we are already seeing shortages of all items.conserve gas food ect--no matter where you are this will help.

thanks everyone
David

1,328 Posts
The Storm

Okay, there is some to what you say I agree with and some I don't. We are not talking gas anymore nor are we on this web site topic of Opel's. Now we talk social issues and politics. What you see on the networks is actual but maybe not so factual. Are people looting yes, and is it right, HELL NO! Saying these people and biggest ghetto, and SSI is a little over board. Fact: there are always jerks in any group that don't give a *hit about anyone but themselves, but that is not everyone. The network repeats the same footage of video over and over. Everyone in the "Ghetto" is not breaking the law. Many of them are anger and embarrass as I am. For those who loot and break the law, thus making the recovery effort even harder, I say lock them up shoot them, or throw them in the middle of the Mississippi to drown. Come on guy.... read between the video. By the way, the time you were in military school I was in Viet Nam with the 101st Airborne 1/327 infantry. Total in country time of two and half years with wounds. I watched a good friend of mind from Georgia (Wheeler) get shot in the head and die in front of me. He was White, I am African American, I have never forgotten him. So like you said.... Compassion, for those who need it.

· Registered
37 Posts
Life takes many strange turns super.....hopefully you will never be one of the poor. Your attitude really bothers me, but thats ok.....free country :) I believe in Karma.....you get what you deserve. How can you judge people that you know nothing about? :( These people have lost everything and YOUR UPSET......geez

Gas today in Colorado was 2.79 a gallon. The news last night said most of our gas comes from WY so we shouldn't be affected that much. I don't believe that. No lines or rushes for gas here yet.

· Registered
6,344 Posts
I can relate somewhat to a natural disaster, we had a humdinger here when over 500 homes burned to the ground. You probably saw that on the media. I saw the carnage and it wasn't pretty. A lot of our friends lost homes, but they rebuilt and moved on in life. I've seen the looting, everyone has, if it was for food, I can understand that, survival is necessary. But you can't eat a TV or all the other stuff these looters are taking. What's ironical is that they will probably not work after being submerged anyway. Last nite, one of the local TV stations put on a telethon for the folks in the gulf coast with proceeds going to the Red Cross. One 6 year old brought in his allowance in a jar, $38.72. Just before they closed the phones they had received pledges of just under $750,000. The Jerry Lewis Telethon will also have some proceeds going to the gulf states. The folks here understand natural disasters and what it takes to get out from under the aftermath. We had a fair amount of problems with FEMA, but they paved the way for quicker response for later disasters. Main problem I can see in the gulf coast, is the roads are gone, the water is still there, receeding, but slowly. Martial law should be put in effect, but until folks can get in there safely to enforce it, it's gonna be a real mess.

· Opeler
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
micah1
rose
i must apolijize for my poor comunication skill

I am not judging the people -they did not cause the situation they were born into.
I do blame our government--they created the situations that allow it to exist--with our tax dollars.
under current situations i dont think the looters should even be punished--or even stopped--nessasary(food/water)or unnessary(tv ect).the nessasary is exactly that.the othe is kinda pointless as the cant use it or take it with them if evacuated and would probably be abandond/writen off by proper owner anyway.
the objective now should be on saving lives and figuring out what to do with them and how to provide for them.
then we need to put the brakes on our out of control government.
not upset--just concered for the people(all of them)and worried about all us humans

rose--i have been poor--let me tell you a story sad but true--when i was young and stupid and wound up in a place i didnt want to be(the pen)nothing realy bad--just stupid.when i was released i could not find work(back then no one would employ a x-con)me and my girl friend had to go on welfare and food stamps.in a few months we both had jobs and could make it on our own.
for 4 months we called welfare office and told them we didnt need it anymore send it to those that need it.the checks did not stop coming.called and complained of this--they asked us to write them a letter to stop it.we did and checks kept coming.finaly i yelled/screamed at/cussed them and the checks stopped coming!!now we had 7 saved checks/food stamps--i said to heck with it and used them.this was my first glimpse into the real world and our government.after helping run a fairly large company(just over 100 employes)
i saw more than most would ever belive.its bad.closing and laying off those people(i personly had to do it)that were basicly my friends(we breathed and ate our work)it all tends to give me a bad attitude.(most reasons for closing were government related)

micah1
thank you for defending our country and freedom.i know from friends--yall went through hell expesily the grunts.the draft ended just before my turn--at end of high school.
the only race issue is the human race--we are them.

to all--starting a political argument was not my intent.stoping our governments from doing anymore damage to society should be foremost in everyones minds.once you see through the incompetence/lies/missmanagment of our resorces(human and other)you can see that we are close to not having a future worth having.yes i am paranoid--its everyones future at stake.

katrina is going to cause things- we cant even guess how bad.but we can all help with info and ideas.

heard through sherrif dept contact that something went bad wrong in baton rouge this morning.large scale rioting/looting/shooting.thats all that was known.may not be anything to it at all.

i will go to my corner and be quite now but please everyone keep posting your opinions ideas and info are important to making it through this.

send help if you can

David

1,328 Posts
David,
I to have issues with the Federal/State process and those who abuse and manipulate it, so lets just call it a day on this topic and hope and pray for those victems in the Gulf states. Those who have and will do wrong will soon pay a terrible price. Not preaching but what goes around comes around.

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
i cant work out whats going on here fully but if it goes into a bitchfest about the rights and wrongs of a countrys political system it will most likely go in the bin
nature just gave the americas a wake up that its top dog in the world ,not people and it wants to be treated well , what folks have as government is up to the folks who get out and vote ,or more correctly those that can but dont (i am still a firm believer that the desire to be in office should disqualify any one from holding office :D )
our feelings go out to those who have losses and those who are left behind to work out there lives in the aftermath of a hurricane but please work out any political gripes away from the site

· PrOpeller
705 Posts
namba209 said:
Martial law should be put in effect, but until folks can get in there safely to enforce it, it's gonna be a real mess.
Have to strongly disagree with that last point. We the People delegate privileges TO our servant government. The Feds have NO authority to declare "martial law" (i.e. suspend the Constitution) on us.

If people start believing that gov't can wield such arbitrary power, this country's in big trouble, folks.

Look to history! ALOT of people have sacrificed and died to protect the ideals of liberty summed up in the Constitution. It's a Trust that was set up to protect us at ALL times. What good is it to us if it can be recalled at gov't's whim... or any perceived crisis? A crisis is when we need the Constitution most.

Sorry if this is too political. But it's really important to educate people...to understand how this country is different from the rest of the world.

(off soapbox.)

· Registered
6,344 Posts
That's true, but the Governor of a state can send in the troops (National Guard) and so far they're on the way. It is a sad state of affiairs when the local constabulary has to suspend their rescue efforts to stop folks from looting, and get shot in the process. Until there is some semblance of law in the devestated areas, rescue efforts will be slow in getting done. Things have got to be done in an orderly fashion or nothing will be accomplished. If you haven't seen it or been part of it, you won't understand!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.