Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Driver
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you all doing when gasket matching the Weber to the intake? The phenolic gasket is open, the heat shild has two separate holes. Are you cutting out the heat shield to match the gasket and porting the intake to match that?

·
Driver
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim Branham said:
They are making sure there is no obstruction to the flow of gas and air to the manifold due to to misalignment or improper fit
Thank you Jim, I know what gasket matching is.:D My question is are "they" leaving the two separate holes in the heat shield when using the thick spacer/gasket that only has one big hole, or cutting/grinding out the heatshield to match the thick spacer?

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Sorry there opelenvy, I am not sure about that. Good question as I will be going through that myself pretty soon. My bet would be that it's all cleared out for the least amount of obstruction.:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bob L. recommends using the 2-hole spacers and not the peanut type that you are talking about.
If you have to use the peanut type and the heat shield is placed between the manifold and spacer (which I think is the standard configuration) then you need to match the shield to the spacer. Otherwise the gas flow expands into the spacer and is then obstructed by the 2 holes, causing flow losses.
If the shield is on top of the spacer it really doesn't matter.
Just make sure the shield clears the bores of the carb.
Thomas

·
Driver
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I saw in Bob's article that he recommended that spacer. But mine is one hole, and the one GT Source sells is the same. The spacer has to go between the carb and the heat shield. For one it represses the heat from getting to the carb from the intake and heat shield, also the carb has clearance issues directly on top of the heat shield.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts

·
Driver
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Huh, well look at that. Thanks. Mine is 1/8" thick. I know the thicker gives you higher top end with a loss in low end. I like my low end torque.:D I rarely go over 90mph anyway.
I'll ask them if they have a thiner one.
Thank ya kindly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts