Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting question I guess, But since I have my gauge cluster out for clean up and repairs/replacement components
I figured I would go ahead and replace all the bulbs with new ones.
I found it interesting that I could/can find all the bulbs BUT the ba9s bulbs are 1.7 watts as apposed to the original 2 watt bulbs?
I know these things aren't very bright to begin with but how much difference is it really to be off by 0.3 watts ?
Also I found 3 watt bulbs BUT once I looked closer at the specs the 3 watt life expectancy is 800 something hours where as the 1.7 watt bulbs are good for 2100 hours???

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Why would you want an inferior bulb? LED is brighter and lasts a lot longer. Unless you don’t actually care about seeing your gauges at night. The only reason I could see wanting a filament bulb is for originality but that’s also accepting all the flaws too for the sake of originality.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I think he was having problems with the housings the Leds went in. I may be wrong. Just pointing out the longevity of the originals. True, the Leds will be brighter and a excellent upgrade.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
VDO actually supplies LEDs for their gauges. They have the blade type and the large round ones. VDO has used the same size bulbs for decades. I think they still provide the filament bulbs too.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The chances of me driving at night are slim to none,
I thought I read the use of led's meant making adjustments to the gauge opening or drilling/cutting out the plastic for them to fit.
Also I read that they don't work well with the dimmer switch?
Besides that the cost to go all led in the gauges verse standard bulbs is a little ridiculous considering I won't be driving at night for 1 and 2 when I do night drive in my other vehicles I usually have the interior lights off or as dim as I can get them

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Not really driving at night, then I wouldn’t worry about LEDs except for your indicators, brakes, and reverse lights. If you want to drive a GT at night, then I’d go for all LEDs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts