Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been talking to a friend of mine who has a CNC mill about producing some flanges for aluminum intake manifolds...the part which would bolt to the head itself.

I'm going to make him some dimensional drawings and he'll convert that into a file for the CNC, once that's done he could make me up flanges any time I'd like. While I was doing this strictly for myself initially, it might be cheaper in the long run to make some extras to sell. I was going to produce them for both the 1.9/2.0 head port locations as well as the 2.2/2.4 head port locations. They would be left at .500" thick so that after welding up the intake they could be milled down to the proper thickness of 12 mm (.472") to compensate for the inevitable warpage. Port hole dimensions would also be slightly undersized to allow for porting later on.

If there's sufficient interest I'll have some extras made and can post them here in the classifieds for sale (and I now have Paypal).

Bob

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Bob;
Just so I can say yay/nay to if I would want one, or a set, could this flange or flanges be used to create SSD as well as DSD intakes?

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob;
Just so I can say yay/nay to if I would want one, or a set, could this flange or flanges be used to create SSD as well as DSD intakes?
If you have the flanges for the carburetors, you can make the intake for ANYTHING.

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should add I already have a few flanges for 32/36 Weber carb mounting, and some plastic spacers. My first project will be making a downdraft intake from scratch for my wagon.

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Hey Bob,
I'm interested...but not having the ability to weld alooominum, I'd be looking for a complete inlet manifold...
If numbers are what is needed to make this happen, I'd think the 32/36 Weber or the SSD applications would prove popular...
Having Paypal makes life sooo much easier, eh?
Cheers, Rob.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I'd be interested in a min. of two intake to head flanges for the 1.9/2.0. With all probability of six in the end.
What thickness plastic spacers and configuration? Along with two handfulls of the different carb flanges.

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be interested in a min. of two intake flanges for the 1.9/2.0. With all probability of six in the end.
What thickness plastic spacers and configuration?
The 32/36 Weber aluminum mounting flanges are 3/8" thick, with two individual holes. The plastic spacers are 1/4" thick, also with two individual holes.

Pretty much the same thing as I used in this thread, but they're made by a professional machinist.
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/attach...old-modifications-3369615899_3274e90459_o.jpg
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/attach...old-modifications-3369617485_e621e09855_o.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bumping this thread to the top. Considering having intake flanges made again, for both the low port and high port CIH heads. Maybe DCOE flanges too.

Any interest?

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Any ballpark figures as to what they might cost? For a 2.4 head.

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Any ballpark figures as to what they might cost? For a 2.4 head.
No idea at all. Depends entirely on the quantity. Last time there was zero interest so I had my own made on a manual mill. Very expensive.

However recently I had some brake rotor adapters made via CNC and the cost was almost as low as I paid 15 years ago for the same item. More parts=lower cost per item.

I might redesign them so the inlet flanges are one piece. Easier alignment.

Going to run the various quantities and scenarios by the machine shop owner tomorrow. I might, for example, have the openings for the intake ports on the 2.2/2.4 flanges milled at an angle to more closely emulate the actual port angles.

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
I would be interested in a 2.4 flange:yup:

Pat

Reactions: Frozen Tundra GT

·
Non Civilian
2,102 Posts
Interested too

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm thinking of doing the intake flanges in one piece, something like this.

Reactions: ggl

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,552 Posts
Bod did you do a run of these a few years ago except in steel? I have something similar to this with a duel flange set-up cobbled together. (VERY poorly done of course) I seem to vaguely remember hearing the flange itself came from you at one time. Yea..... from you know who.....Just wondering if you remember selling one to him?

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bod did you do a run of these a few years ago except in steel? I have something similar to this with a duel flange set-up cobbled together. (VERY poorly done of course) I seem to vaguely remember hearing the flange itself came from you at one time. Yea..... from you know who.....Just wondering if you remember selling one to him?
I did some in steel many years ago. Plasma-cut 1/4" material.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts