Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Does anyone know how much torque the 4 speed manual gearbox can handle?

Sincerely
Paul
This is more a factor of how hard it is driven. But under 200 nm is a safe bet.

When driven hard I have seen them fail regularly with only 150 nm.

·
Can Opeler
3,937 Posts
Does the Quaife gear set increase the torque rating? If so, does anyone know that limit?
More than you are going to get out of a 1.9L but it’s straight cut close ratio so it would SUCK on the street.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Does the Quaife gear set increase the torque rating? If so, does anyone know that limit?
By virtue of better steel and straight-cut gears, the Quaife is nominally stronger.

But utterly useless for the street. Noisy and ratios are designed for racing.

First gear is a 2.25 ratio. With a 3.44 rear axle, and 165/80R13 tires, a stock 1.9 could just hit 60 mph in 1st gear. Which means taking off from a standstill is lethargic as hell.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Some Holden six's were fitted with a opel box, I don't know if its the same but the LC XU-1 had the Opel box with a cast pan to add strength they were160 hp and 190ft/lb of torque.
The LJ XU1 with 190hp and 194ft/lbs torque had a different box.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Probably the Commodore/Kapitän/Admiral box, which is slightly beefier than the four cylinder variants. Admirals with the 28E engine were rated at 165hp DIN and 235Nm . I believe the box was also used in early Chevy Vegas too, but I'm not sure.

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Probably the Commodore/Kapitän/Admiral box, which is slightly beefier than the four cylinder variants. Admirals with the 28E engine were rated at 165hp DIN and 235Nm . I believe the box was also used in early Chevy Vegas too, but I'm not sure.
Correct, the early Chevy Vega used the 6-cylinder Opel gearbox.

Gear ratios were slightly different, but gear sizes and transmission case was the same. The biggest difference was the front bearing. It requires machining the 4-cylinder bellhousing to fit, and a larger front seal.

Reactions: Commodåren
1 - 14 of 14 Posts