Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
general car psihics question

Ok, its non Opel related as they are all rwd.

But i keep fighting with some mechanics here about what car would slip the wheels easyer, fwd or rwd.

Say the car had 50/50 weight distribution, avrage engine weight and avrage sunspension bound/rebound rates, and same wheel & tire sizes on the rear and front. both cars front engined.

Which of those cars do you think will "slip" the wheels at accelleration at a lower rpm/sudden clutch release?

I think fwd because it just seems that the force of (inertion? inertia?) would outrun the weight of the engine pressing on the front wheels. hmmm? no??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting problem...here is my take on it:

If each set of wheels is seeing EXACTLY the same weight, then the force should be equal....except.... newtons 2nd law comes into play, when you apply the brakes, you cause the tires to push forward against the ground, and the ground pushes back. As long as the tires stay on the car, the ground pushing on them slows the car down. The same is true for acceleration except vise versa. These forces casue the weight to shift, under acceleration the weight is transfered rearward....pressing down on the rear wheels and increasing their frictional coefficent while doing the oppisite to the front (lowering their frictional coefficent and making them easier to spin). FWD gets my vote :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I'll second that.

(Besides, Its a lot better put than how I would have explained it)

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Well explained

I was just going to say that you should go down to a drag strip. You'll see the big boys are all RWD and are getting times around 4 seconds. The import tuners running FWD, even the guys with unlimited budgets, have given up on getting the front tires to hook and literally burn the tires for the 60 feet, bang second and hope that they catch.. and are also running around 8's.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yeah. Transfer weight to the rear, to add traction on rear driving tires. Look at how drag racing rear suspension systems utilize the twisting effect of the rear axle housing to cause lift to the the front of the car. The simplest method is called a "ladder bar".
Personally, I thing drag racing a front wheel drive car is stupid. They could not ever hope to get the jump out of the hole that a rear drive could!
Look at it this way. If the front wheels are in the air, or even almost, where is the entire weight of the car?
Hey, maybe the rice burners can make the front of the car lift the back end up. That would look different, huh. Would probably work. I'd spent some time thinking about it and drawing technical pictures if I was even the least bit interested. But I'm not...

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
jeff denton said:
Personally, I thing drag racing a front wheel drive car is stupid. They could not ever hope to get the jump out of the hole that a rear drive could!
Jeff, I have to agree with you here. I'm not into drag racing too much (the faster you are the less track time you get!), but even if I did I would definitely not drag-race a front-drive car.

However, that being said, it is quite amazing the way these things have progressed in very short order. About 7-8 years ago the fastest front drivers were in the 12's, nowadays there are street-driven front drivers that can go faster than that! They're deep into the 8's now, and it took them a lot less time to get there than it did for rear-drive V8 cars years ago! The technology is pretty amazing, the faster cars are getting 1200-1400 hp from production-based 4 cylinder engines....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heheh i better show this thread to someone.
have to remember to bet on it first. "yet another reason why fwd's are crap"
Thanks.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts