Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wanting to do an engine swap in my 72 GT, and i was wondering what would be one of the best engines to use. i know about the opel engines and the 2.8 or 3.4, but what i was wondering is which engine is generally good in the GT and doesnt require extensive amount of body work. dont get me wrong i know that by doing any engine swap i am going to be doing alot of cutting and welding. any information would be great, i am really excited to get this swap started.

thanks,

adam

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Adam, it isn't the mods to the body that is time consuming, in my case. It was the building of engine and tranny mounts that took the most time and effort, that and building the custom exhaust manifolds. A whole lot of measuring to get the right angles and positioning of the engine/tranny is where the problem lies. I didn't do any body cutting until after I was able to get the engine/tranny in the hole with the gearshift centered in the console hole with the tranny mount bolted to the car. Then I was able to determine where and how much of footwell and wiper well to cut for clearance and torque reaction. Even then, I removed more of the footwell than I needed to. What helped me out a bunch was to have a reversed mock up of the mounting holes for the engine cross member and tranny cross member. Basically I made two dollies that had the inboard engine X-member holes and the two tranny holes, one for the 1.9 engine/tranny I removed and one for the V-6/T-5 I am putting in. Sitting side by side on the dollies, it was easy to do all the measuring to build the mounts for the engine and tranny that would put the package at the right angle and distance to fit it all in initially. Even though I did make a mistake by using the wrong holes for the tranny mount initially. HTH.

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow...thanks for the information, i think that i would like to do the same cuz i can get the engine for free out of my future mother in laws old car that she is giving me, so atleast that will help with the cost

·
1,807 Posts
I would stay away from the 3.4 dohc eng. with timing belt .. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The engine is actually going in right away. The car's all done, just need to grab an engine lift from someone and start welding up the new motor mounts. My website kind of explains it all.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Adam, if you were referring to me about the body mods, all I did was cut away part of the footwell and reweld panels back in. Same with the wiper well, I've got pics in my Willit? thread I do believe.

Dan, I don't have the actual weights, but I believe the V-6/T-5 combo is actually lighter than the box stock 1.9/4spd. Reasons are shorter block, crank, cam, and aluminum tranny, although it does have two heads and exhaust manifolds. Also the weight sits much further back than the standard engine. JMTCW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.