Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an exhaust midpipe that was given to me by a friend for my car. Before I install it, I want to get rid of some lumps of metal slag that are inside the ends where the flanges were welded on.

Can I use a dremel to do this? What kind of bit? Do I need to rent a torch or have a pro do this?

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can grind it down to slightly above flush with the base metal. This actually relieves stress risers.

Dremel with grinding stone is fine; however, it'll use up the stone. Angle grinder is better, but is tough in small areas. Files also work good (coarse flat bastard or square file).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, those ugly blobs kinda counter the theory of a better flowing peice of pipe...

I have some big ugly rasps and a few dremel stones that are ready to be spent anyways.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
For getting the excess weld material from inside the pipe, I would suggest a file first, preferably a round one, then finish it off with the Dremel for a nice smooth contour. Just a little bit of raised material will make the pipe really hard to slide another pipe into it, if that's the way you're going.

Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It fits OK, It just has nasty drips... honestly I dont see how a welder could possibly let something like that be. :rolleyes: but hey, it was free, and its the size I need! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts