Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Pittsburgh atending college at Duquesne University. I have my 72 opel gt sitting at my parents house in the Waynesboro, PA area. Dad might mess with it a little but that will be rare. I can't play with it a lot for another 5 or six years. I am going home over Thanksgiving break, what can I do to keep it from rusting and keep the seals from drying out. Just redone the engine, but have had time to do the carb, so the engine doesn't run ( will start and will turn over, but won't run for more than 3 sec.) Don't want to have to do everything all over again in 6 years.

Thanks a bunch

Toby

·
1,709 Posts
Hi Toby , Is car in a garage ? If it is ,then a dehumidifer could be used and
use two pans in the car or near car filled with cat litter ( pulls moisture from air ) but needs to be changed out on routine schedule 3to 6 months.
HTH

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope it is sitting outside. closest thing to a garage is a car port we have. sides are enclosed with tarps. mainly used to paint cars, right now is is filled full of about 3 small truck loads of opel parts.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Needs Better .....

weatherman said:
nope it is sitting outside. closest thing to a garage is a car port we have. sides are enclosed with tarps. mainly used to paint cars, right now is is filled full of about 3 small truck loads of opel parts.
Sorry but under those storage conditions the poor wee GT may last six months without too much damage but in five or six years it will be badly deteriorated. For long term storage it has to be in an enclosed shed with moisture control - no way out of it. Except, perhaps, having someone use it regularly plus washing & Waxing it once a month..... and doing regular maintenance.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
put the car on wood blocks and remove wheels so they do not have any weight on them then wrap it up in cling film /superwrap all over and underneath, on a good dry day and use a fan to pull as much air as you can out so its dry as possible then wrap the area of the fan hole

cover with a tarp to protect from UV rays and snow , job done :D

i have had a car rapped for 4 years and it was ok but it was in good condition and had 4 weeks of hot dry summer to take away any moisture first

1 - 5 of 5 Posts