Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rusty Fenders

I do know that one of the problems that I am going to have to deal with is rust above the rear fender wells. Many years ago, when I put my GT into storage, I put some of that goo on it that turns rust to primer and stops it, but it is going to need fixing now.

What is the best way to approach this problem? put in sheet metal and bondo over it? Fill it in with bondo? Get new quarter panels?

Im not a body guy, so don´t laugh at me. Please keep in mind that I am probably going to get the fender flares and side skirts for this thing.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Make that any GOOD advice would be appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
easy question

Hopefully this can be answered easily. If I EVER get my block back from the machine shop I need to paint it. What is stock Opel engine color??? I´ve had 3 GT´s since about ´77. None had the color showing...anywhere. (Unless it was supposed to be "oil black"). I know somebody has seen it. "Ya´ll" have the rest of the info.
Ken

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Satin black, block, oil pan, timing cover, tranny and head. Even part of the intake was usually oversprayed black, some were completely painted. Earlier engines were slightly lighter in color, almost grey-black. Not gloss, not flat.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use different sealers on different gaskets based on trial and error over the years. I like using Permatex copper spray sealer on the head gasket, intake/exhaust gasket, the timing cover gaskets, oil pickup tube, and the oil pump gasket. I use black silicone on the very front of the head gasket (both sides), letting it cure 20 minutes before installing so it doesn´t ooze out. I use a little black silicone also on the thermostat housing gaskets, the water pump, and the rubber rails on the oil pan. I use weatherstrip adhesive on the cork gaskets for the oil pan, applying it between the block and gasket only. Same stuff for the valve cover gasket, except I apply it between the valve cover and gasket. Let me know if there are any other areas I left out you need info on.

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How Large of an area are you talking about?
If you are like me and slightly ignorant of the ways of body repair but yet resigned to do it yourself you could check out a few places on the internet searching under body panel fabrication or metal fabrication or English Wheel. Good Luck finding replacement body panels. If it is a very small area there is a process called leading that works quite well and isn´t too hard to accomplish you just need safety equipment and tools to heat the lead a wooden spatula to apply a good heat source to work it in and a grinder/ sander to complete surface area. But the stuff is considered toxic so you have to dispose of remaining contents appropriately.For Larger areas metal replacement is the best bet and sometimes it is better to build a buck to fit your metal to for shaping purposes. As far as Bondo remember it is bondo after a few years you are likely to see your paint job ruined by cracks.
Also Keep in mind a good body repair person will probably save you time and money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts